Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto rotary dial
Evoqess

RE: Auto rotary dial

I've never had an on/off engine start button to press, rotary gear control or park brake dooverlacky! Am pleased for all these innovations Smile

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 08:29pm by Evoqess.)
03-10-2011 08:26pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brakedwell

Having owned two XF's I must admit I am not a fan of Jaguar's rising/rotating gear selector. It doesn't feel very solid and is not as intuitive as a well designed lever or AM type buttons. Once in manual mode after pulling a paddle the XF gearbox reverted to auto (D) if the paddles are not touched for a few seconds, which is a bit nebulous. The paddle logic in the Evoque is different in that it only works in sport mode. The + upshift paddle has to be pulled and held for more than one second to return to auto (sport) mode. Then the rotating knob has to by turned back to Drive (D) for normal auto. All a bit cumbersome and not very suitable for premium SUV's. If I buy an Evoque it must have a manual gearbox and a petrol engine.

Will order a 2i4 Manual Prestige when it becomes available, hopefully with 300bhp.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 11:16am by brakedwell.)
04-10-2011 11:13am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Brakedwell, I don't seem to have to go through any of that palaver with mine when I paddle shift it and it will paddle shift in D or S, maybe mine has a defect? If I use the paddles in D then I get a message in the info screen between the dials that I have selected command-shift mode but it will revert to auto mode all by itself if I don't paddle shift again.
I'm not sold on the rotary shift though but I suspect that if we had always had rotary shifters then people would be complaining that the newfangled lever system wasn't to their taste........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 11:33am by XFullFatTim.)
04-10-2011 11:18am
brakedwell

Sorry if I mislead anyone, my info came from the online Evoque Owners' Manual, which doesn't tell the whole story. So the Evoque gearbox behaves in the same way as the XF.
[Image: ScreenShot2011-10-04at120152.png]

[Image: ScreenShot2011-10-04at120338.png]

Will order a 2i4 Manual Prestige when it becomes available, hopefully with 300bhp.
04-10-2011 12:13pm
Spiderman

When the Gearbox is in its 'Sport' setting and you are using the Paddles to change gear the Gearbox will remain in your chosen gear, irrespective if the engine redlines or you leave the paddles alone indefinitely, this can provide the driver with numerous vehicle control benefits when cornering or using the engine to assist braking etc or even to maintain a steady speed whilst off road.

However, in it's default 'Drive' setting the Gearbox will change up/down automatically whether the gears are selected with the Paddles or not.

IMO the Paddles are designed to be used in 'Sport' mode where they can enhance the vehicles control & driving enjoyment best.

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
04-10-2011 03:26pm
ytshome

(04-10-2011 03:26pm)Spiderman Wrote:  When the Gearbox is in its 'Sport' setting and you are using the Paddles to change gear the Gearbox will remain in your chosen gear, irrespective if the engine redlines or you leave the paddles alone indefinitely, this can provide the driver with numerous vehicle control benefits when cornering or using the engine to assist braking etc or even to maintain a steady speed whilst off road.

However, in it's default 'Drive' setting the Gearbox will change up/down automatically whether the gears are selected with the Paddles or not.

IMO the Paddles are designed to be used in 'Sport' mode where they can enhance the vehicles control & driving enjoyment best.

Couldn't have put it better myself. +1. YT

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
04-10-2011 03:48pm
Spiderman

Why thank you YT Very Happy

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
04-10-2011 11:25pm