Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto rotary dial
benzina

Auto rotary dial

Just want to gauge peoples opinions regarding the automatic rotary dial,versus the conventional forward/back lever.

Also, regarding the fact that it rises up electronically when you turn the engine on....if this just so happens to malfunction,and fails to rise, is their a manual way you can raise the auto dial? Because if their is not, then i'm guessing you would be left stranded.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 13-09-2011 02:19pm by benzina.)
13-09-2011 02:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ytshome

RE: Auto rotary dial

(13-09-2011 02:18pm)benzina Wrote:  Just want to gauge peoples opinions regarding the automatic rotary dial,versus the conventional forward/back lever.

Also, regarding the fact that it rises up electronically when you turn the engine on....if this just so happens to malfunction,and fails to rise, is their a manual way you can raise the auto dial? Because if their is not, then i'm guessing you would be left stranded.

Hi, there is a manual over-ride, but don't ask me what you do exactly but I do remember reading about it on my XF. In my experience it works fantastically well and looks good too.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
13-09-2011 02:39pm
scottie99

I have experienced it on my XF- it works well, except the one time when it rose up, and would not turn to drive.
I then switched the car off and it would not restart.I was was left stranded and causing chaos ending up on the back of a transporter back to Jag!
13-09-2011 02:55pm
paulus599

I thought I'd read somewhere that even if it doesn't rise up, you can still turn it to select drive.

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
13-09-2011 03:30pm
cjfp

(13-09-2011 02:55pm)scottie99 Wrote:  I have experienced it on my XF- it works well, except the one time when it rose up, and would not turn to drive.
I then switched the car off and it would not restart.I was was left stranded and causing chaos ending up on the back of a transporter back to Jag!

Me too!, in my parents 1 week old XF when I was picking them up at Gatwick Airport ! I was stuck in the middle of the carpark causing major angst and it took some mega pushing on rollers to get me out to the transporter. At the time (mid 2010) it was a known fault with the unit and was replaced - no faults since.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
13-09-2011 03:42pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I was sceptical about rotary when I have been used to for and aft movement of the selector - no problems and even if you forget to turn the selector back to P before getting out, the car does it for you! The only time I have found it less good than the conventional shifter was at the weekend when I was trying to complete a 45 point turn on a narrow track, when you are having to twist it so much it isn't as user friendly as a conventional selector.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
13-09-2011 04:25pm
defender_uk

much prefer the lever....don't like the rotary on the jag, RR or RRS

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
13-09-2011 07:12pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DynamicRRV

I love it!
13-09-2011 07:36pm
benzina

Just thinking....Is it possible to arrange it so that the selector stays in the UP position all the time? For example: like pulling a fuse that is responsible for solely this purpose.
It's not that i'm totally against this feature, but i think it would be good to be able to switch off the theatrics from time to time.
I've got automatic seatbelt extenders in my Benz coupe,which i only used sparingly,so the theater of that one is fine,but if it was a daily driver?
Anyway,i'm sure it will be fine,but please let me know if their is a way to make the selector stay in the UP position all the time. Thanks.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
03-10-2011 03:06am
hybris

Its very cool. But practically I like the shifter in the X5 much more. Not as sexy as the Evoque/Jag though.

First time/testdrive it took me 20 seconds to get it into drive. (Evoque)

Order of Evoque Dynamic cancelled due to delays and no information on delivery date. Wish you all the best of luck and hope you will receive your cars soon. Its a lovely car! Many thanks for all great answers and feedback on this forum! Take care! Cheers! /Hybris
03-10-2011 08:20pm