Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror
DDX

Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

Just wandering if this option adds anything else to the vehicle other than an auto dimming rear view mirror?

For example, on the Cayenne, adding memory seats also adds reverse dip on the wing mirrors even though this isnt well documented.

Just want to make sure im not missing out on any other features by not speccing it. The owners manual showed a couple of sensors on the ADRVM, one being for ambient lighting, but not on the manual.

Evoque 5dr Dynamic SD4 Auto, Fuji/Vortex, 20" Style 7's, Panoramic Roof, Ebony Headlining, Keyless Entry, Premium Mats, Heated S/W, Park Assist, Power Tailgate, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel

Very Happy ARRIVED Very Happy
12-08-2011 06:36am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

The auto dimming mirror does just that, it darkens when light falls on the front surface of the mirror. There are typically sensors front and rear (to sense ambient) so that it only reacts to a light which is much brighter than ambient, such as bright headlights from behind. This feature is a pre-requisite to the auto dipping headlights function and I think is worth having.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2011 09:27am by mark_n.)
12-08-2011 09:26am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

ADRVM is great, I have had it on my last 3 cars, however the current car is the first I have had with drug dealer glass and the operation of the ADRVM is reduced as a result. So what you ask - well my wing mirrors also tint when the ADRVM activates and if they don't tint you get dazzled from the side mirrors instead!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2011 09:53am by XFullFatTim.)
12-08-2011 09:53am
vision*R

I've just removed the ADRVM from my order. I don't have the dimming headlights and I haven't seen anywhere that the wing mirrors will dim together with the rear-view mirror, so I'll be happy to flip the switch manually...

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
12-08-2011 10:05am
Rehan

I have specced the auto dimming rear view mirror. Could not believe it wasnt standard considering the high price that the evoque is.

(12-08-2011 10:05am)vision*R Wrote:  I've just removed the ADRVM from my order. I don't have the dimming headlights and I haven't seen anywhere that the wing mirrors will dim together with the rear-view mirror, so I'll be happy to flip the switch manually...
12-08-2011 11:30am
Blackseries

(12-08-2011 11:30am)Rehan Wrote:  I have specced the auto dimming rear view mirror. Could not believe it wasnt standard considering the high price that the evoque is.

Quite agree .... even my Fiat 500 has it! ......... oh, and don't get me started on the lack of rear passenger vents.......... there are some £8,000 cars that come with those as standard......

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
12-08-2011 01:12pm
jgouldj

(12-08-2011 06:36am)DDX Wrote:  Just wandering if this option adds anything else to the vehicle other than an auto dimming rear view mirror?

For example, on the Cayenne, adding memory seats also adds reverse dip on the wing mirrors even though this isnt well documented.

Just want to make sure im not missing out on any other features by not speccing it. The owners manual showed a couple of sensors on the ADRVM, one being for ambient lighting, but not on the manual.

Got to say that I don't like the sound of this, what if it goes wrong!
(This post was last modified: 31-07-2012 09:40am by jgouldj.)
12-08-2011 01:55pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(12-08-2011 09:53am)FullFatTim Wrote:  ADRVM is great, I have had it on my last 3 cars, however the current car is the first I have had with drug dealer glass and the operation of the ADRVM is reduced as a result. So what you ask - well my wing mirrors also tint when the ADRVM activates and if they don't tint you get dazzled from the side mirrors instead!

I have had auto dipping mirrors in all my cars for the last 10 years and would not be without it (it should be standard on a £30K car!). I have had a mix of privacy and non privacy glass cars and the window tint makes no differance IMHO. Also on Mercedes the drivers door mirror also dips, which is a curiously useful feature, only really noticed when you drive a car that doesn't have it and then you miss it. Sadly though, this hasn't made its way onto many cars outside the Merc/BMW group.

I think the auto dip rear view mirror is good when its there is a nugget driving with full beam on during the day and you are on the main road/motorway so can't escape, but still need to check your mirror all the time.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
12-08-2011 02:01pm
MW73

"oh, and don't get me started on the lack of rear passenger vents.......... there are some £8,000 cars that come with those as standard......"

Did you not get these specced on your car?
LaughingLaughingLaughing
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2011 02:27pm by MW73.)
12-08-2011 02:25pm
Blackseries

(12-08-2011 02:25pm)MW73 Wrote:  "oh, and don't get me started on the lack of rear passenger vents.......... there are some £8,000 cars that come with those as standard......"

Did you not get these specced on your car?
LaughingLaughingLaughing

It was "unavailable" when my order went in .... did you get them?

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
12-08-2011 02:33pm