Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adding center channel speaker to 380w system
fstfwd

My 2016 SE premium won't have the awesome 800w system that I currently have. And it pains me...

I was wondering what experience people have had with adding a center channel speaker (for which there still exists a space /speaker grate), amp and channel splitter.

Also notes on recommended components are great.

Thanks!

2012 Range Rover Evoque
Santorini Black / Ebony
Pure Premium / Illuminated Tread Plates / Luggage Bar
14-11-2015 10:05pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
angeli662

RE: Adding center channel speaker to 380w system

(14-11-2015 10:05pm)fstfwd Wrote:  My 2016 SE premium won't have the awesome 800w system that I currently have. And it pains me...

I was wondering what experience people have had with adding a center channel speaker (for which there still exists a space /speaker grate), amp and channel splitter.

Also notes on recommended components are great.

Thanks!

you should have 11 speakers @ least and the center channel should be there.
3 x in the LH door
3 x RH door
2 x LH rear door
2 x RH rear door
1 center
15-11-2015 12:01am
fstfwd

The 11th speaker is the subwoofer. Based on the diagram here http://media.meridian-audio.com/datashee...-A4-ds.pdf

2012 Range Rover Evoque
Santorini Black / Ebony
15-11-2015 06:33am
Clip

Assuming you will have the 380w system, yes, the 11th is the sub, however you will need to add an amp to drive it. It then sounds awesome. Adding the centre speaker would be dreadful IMHO. The sound field processing that Meridian has designed for each of the 380 & 800 systems is the best I've heard to date. You really don't want to mess with it, which adding a centre speaker to the 380 system and somehow tapping into one of the channels, would certainly do. All the speakers have discreet wiring, each channelling their own signals. It isn't a simple stereo setup with crossovers in the doors etc.

The only drawback is that you can't really turn down the front or rear speakers without destroying the sound, as the whole experience relies on all speakers working together. Hope that helps a bit Smile
15-11-2015 09:37am
fstfwd

I appreciate the perspective. I've spoken to a local car audio place that has done several center channel installs on the full size RR, and they specially run the stereo processing through an Artisan 1 (?) mixer, then to an amp/center speaker and the rest back out to the other speakers.

I've driven a '15 loaner with the 380w and the difference is night and day... It honestly doesn't sound like they are doing much to manage that audio. There is no DSP... Just standard treble, bass, sub... And you can completely hear the difference.

This was a DUMB move imho by Land Rover to not give you the option to make the better system available in these models. And an HSE was just a waste of money to jump up to.

2012 Range Rover Evoque
Santorini Black / Ebony
15-11-2015 02:06pm
angeli662

(15-11-2015 09:37am)Clip Wrote:  Assuming you will have the 380w system, yes, the 11th is the sub, however you will need to add an amp to drive it. It then sounds awesome. Adding the centre speaker would be dreadful IMHO. The sound field processing that Meridian has designed for each of the 380 & 800 systems is the best I've heard to date. You really don't want to mess with it, which adding a centre speaker to the 380 system and somehow tapping into one of the channels, would certainly do. All the speakers have discreet wiring, each channelling their own signals. It isn't a simple stereo setup with crossovers in the doors etc.

The only drawback is that you can't really turn down the front or rear speakers without destroying the sound, as the whole experience relies on all speakers working together. Hope that helps a bit Smile

Why don't they call it 10.1 or 16.1 like the rest of the industry. Sad
15-11-2015 03:34pm
fstfwd

Because the majority of consumers are still trying to figure out where their .1 speaker is in their home theater setup. Smile

2012 Range Rover Evoque
Santorini Black / Ebony
15-11-2015 03:36pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Here in the UK you can still have the 850w system as a factory fitted option, problem is it isn't cheap but it might cost less than having a retrofitted system with the risk of spoiling the OEM system. On the RRS2 there is also the option of the 1700w Signature Meridian System and everyone I have spoken to who has experienced it says that it really is one of the best systems you can get fitted in any car, but then you would expect that for paying an additional £4000/$6000............

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-11-2015 08:41pm
cbracer

I feel your pain. I drove the 800w system for a couple days and ended up buying one with the 380w. It sucks in comparison. In fact the audio is so bad I can't believe they would sell it that way. My ears tell me I'm in a rental car! The meridian sound selection on the 800w system sounds great. I haven't found anyone that's upgraded their basic sound system, but I surely would like to!
(This post was last modified: 16-11-2015 04:21pm by cbracer.)
16-11-2015 04:20pm
fstfwd

It's not even the system persay, that's still more wattage/speakers than many of the competitors out there. It's that most of those lower end systems have to make 6 or 8 speakers sound good. So, they put at least two facing the windshield, which really helps push the audio more towards the center.

In evoque 380w it would seem all you get it lateral sound, and the kills the imaging.

2012 Range Rover Evoque
Santorini Black / Ebony
17-11-2015 07:18am