Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Hybrid RR Evoque
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: A Hybrid RR Evoque

I see in one of the UK car magazines that the RRS Hybrid and the SDv8 (4.4 twin turbo diesel) have gone on sale at £81,000 each. The Hybrid has same performance as the SDv8 yet has only a 3.0ltr TDv6 engine so the electric bit gives it a good bit of extra poke for all those extra £££££££'s

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
13-11-2013 04:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scrannel

(12-11-2013 10:01am)speary Wrote:  I remember on top gear some years ago they did a consumption test between a BMW M3 and a Toyota pious on a track. All the Poius had to do was keep up with the M3. At the end of the test the M3 did 16 mpg, the Prius did 15

I have to say I have plenty of friends with Prius cars and they get fantastic mileage. In the real world. One couple I know loved the mileage so much, they bought two. Personally I think the crew at Top Gear are the biggest pile of bone-heads that ever found their way behind the wheel of a car. They're constantly staging tests to produce a predetermined result. I remember when they wanted to compare mileage on an a/c equipped car vs one w/o. So the geniuses drove around a parking lot at about 20mph for an hour to "prove" the car w/o a/c would win. Top Gear is the Fox News of the car world.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
(This post was last modified: 13-11-2013 04:55pm by scrannel.)
13-11-2013 04:54pm
speary

(13-11-2013 04:54pm)scrannel Wrote:  I have to say I have plenty of friends with Prius cars and they get fantastic mileage. In the real world. One couple I know loved the mileage so much, they bought two. Personally I think the crew at Top Gear are the biggest pile of bone-heads that ever found their way behind the wheel of a car. They're constantly staging tests to produce a predetermined result. I remember when they wanted to compare mileage on an a/c equipped car vs one w/o. So the geniuses drove around a parking lot at about 20mph for an hour to "prove" the car w/o a/c would win. Top Gear is the Fox News of the car world.

Not a Clarkson fan then Laughing
Take Top Gear for what it is. A bit of light hearted fun aimed at winding people up who are easily wound up Wink

My wife has a focus 1.6 diesel estate and she can get 65 mpg with just 1 engine and no batteries. My gripe is that everybody seems to forget the additional co2 from making electric motors and batteries and shipping them all over the world. Not to mention scarce lithium supplies. It isn't a level playing field when comparing conventional cars with hybrid/electric cars

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
(This post was last modified: 13-11-2013 05:57pm by speary.)
13-11-2013 05:52pm
XFullFatTim

TG used to be a serious motoring programme way back in the 1970's and 80's but now it's an entertainment show for massaging the ego of Clarkson

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-11-2013 05:59pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-11-2013 05:58pm
markh

Thanks for all your replies guys, I'm really grateful and impressed. I've appealed to many a forum before for various ulterior motives, but I think this has been the most generous response I've had Smile

Personally, I agree with a lot of what you've said; although they have great potential advantages, hybrids are a bit of a gamble at this point in their development, and it's likely as not a better investment to buy an efficient diesel. But that's apparently not good enough for our project, for some reason..
14-11-2013 12:09am
mark_n

The point about lithium is very real. It's a scarce resource and there isn't enough of it to seriously change the automotive world. Besides, I need it for my iPhone and iPad.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
14-11-2013 07:27am
BFGEvoqueMan

(13-11-2013 05:52pm)speary Wrote:  My wife has a focus 1.6 diesel estate and she can get 65 mpg with just 1 engine and no batteries. My gripe is that everybody seems to forget the additional co2 from making electric motors and batteries and shipping them all over the world. Not to mention scarce lithium supplies. It isn't a level playing field when comparing conventional cars with hybrid/electric cars

I often thought the same when I was getting the same out of my focus; no pious prius for meVery HappyVery Happy

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
14-11-2013 08:10am
speary

Hydrogen fuel cell. Its the future

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
14-11-2013 09:28am
XFullFatTim

The motoring magazines have been saying for a long time that there is a huge question mark over just how economical hybrids are and that modern really good turbo diesels and petrol engies are actual less poluting over the lifecycle of the vehicle and they are much more efficient in their use of materials than hybrids or ZEV's (purely electric cars) which of course may not emit themselves but we have to make electricity and that is hugely poluting. When was the last time you saw a Tesla hooked up to one of the recharging points all over the country or a Nissan Leaf plugged into a free power point in a multi-storey car park. I saw my first ever Vauxhall Ampera on Monday on the M1, I wondered if it was a coincidence that I was also passing Luton and the home of Vauxhall in the UK......

(This post was last modified: 14-11-2013 10:26am by XFullFatTim.)
14-11-2013 10:26am
MarkA_

A Hybrid RR Evoque

I think it is a bit shortsighted to say that just because they are not, right now, as good as standard petrol/diesel, that universities and/or commercial enterprises should no longer invest in R&D in these areas.

Someone has to make the breakthroughs.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
14-11-2013 12:50pm