Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
9 speed ZF auto for 2014
Donny Dog

RE: 9 speed ZF auto for 2014

(07-03-2013 11:24pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Daf springs to mind Laughing

I had a Volvo 345 a few years ago (over 30 now I think about it!) and that was built in the Daf factory. It didn't have CVT (it had a normal manual gearbox) but it never quite seemed like a proper Volvo when people kept pointing out where it was built and assuming it had CVT.
08-03-2013 11:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Puffy

9 speed ZF auto for 2014

(08-03-2013 01:25am)Biker Wrote:  I don't know why all cars are not CVT to be honest.
My best and most comfortable car had a 3.5l V6 engine with a CVT. No hunting for gears, exceptional fuel economy on the highway and beating anything with manual or auto gearbox on the dunes.

Let me guess... 3.5L V6 but towing capacity of no more than 1500kg. That's the only area CVT is a let down and even that limit is generous given their fragile track record if stressed.
08-03-2013 11:51am
Filski

9 speed ZF auto for 2014

My vespa has a CVT, not sure I'd want in my car!
08-03-2013 12:37pm
vinny

Ahh remember my younger days on my bike,1st bike -no gears,2nd bike -3 gears,racer -5 gears then 12,18,27 gears but seemed to still get knackered no matter how many gears my bike had.
There is a moral somewhere in this story....

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
08-03-2013 08:56pm
Westy

One of the challenges of cvt technology is the drive system, it is either a chain like the audi system or a belt like the rest. You need special fluids.

If you take a look at Audi they utilise three types of automatic gearbox, to the owner they are all the same with an automatic gear selector, the difference is they choose the right automatic technology to match the power, fuel consumption and emission characteristics of the engine.

They offer
S tronic
Tiptronic
Multitronic

Their goal is to take the control away from the driver re emissions and match it to the engine sweet spot, they don't want to offer such complexity in drivetrain but they have no choice as you all know many engine types have different needs including petrol and diesel.

When you have a vehicle like a land rover it is likely to be used by some for what is is designed for and hence they have to offer something that is strong first. Whilst I have a manual I have driven two auto Evoques on Lre days and they were great off road. I know they have the weaknesses with mpg. I guess they always wanted this box but it may have not been ready in time and chose the traditional aisin box for the short term. The goal for all oems is to achieve low average co2 figures required by European law, so they will choose whatever they can to get the lowest number.

The new technologies that seem to offer both smooth driving and improved efficiency are the double clutch automated manual gearbox (ie s tronic, dsg, PDK etc) and the new technologies from zf that are based on the traditional design of the automatic with the planets and gears.

I think we will all see some huge improvements in shift and emissions, bmw use some of the new zf autos and their figures for autos are actually beating the manuals for co2.

The choice is down to the OEM and what is best for engine and application.

For sure my next SUV will be a new style auto either a q5 with the double clutch or the Evoque with zf technology.

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 10:22am by Westy.)
09-03-2013 10:11am
toerag

Hi, I was off to order my Evoque this weekend, I may wait now....> Range Rover Evoque nine-speed auto on sale autumn 2013, from around £33,000

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/range-ro...uto/265572

Surprised
14-03-2013 08:07pm