Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
9 speed ZF auto for 2014
Aussievoque

RE: 9 speed ZF auto for 2014

This article from CarSales in Australia confirms 9 speed box will be available in Australia from January 2014.

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2013/pre...oque-35305

Best news I have heard for the Evoque, from reading the article it should fix my main gripe with the Evoque!
28-02-2013 12:42am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Westy

It also gets a mention in yesterday's autoexpress magazine in the uk, confirming it will be ready for MY14 Evoques.

Should be a world first and hopefully address some of the mpg woes

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
28-02-2013 08:13am
pacmeoff

Bad timing just order my wife's evoque yesterday, managed to get myself a great deal for a stock car so I'm not entirely unhappy.

My wife doesn't do many miles anyway (6k in the last 3 years) so not really that fussed about the extra mpg.

I have recently had a 1 month loan of a 2.2 XF with the zf 8 speed gear box while I was waiting for my 3.0d to be delivered and I wasn't happy with that at all. The 2.2 XF with 8 speed and start/stop seemed to be in the wrong gear all of the time. Basically it seems to be programmed to stay in the most fuel efficient gear it could meaning the engine sounded very gruff (like a manual about to stall) and then had no pickup when you tried to accelerate away. I found myself using the paddles constantly.

It wasn't that great on fuel either I only managed to get 33mpg out of it over a month.

On the other hand since I've had my 3.0d with the ZF 8 speed box it's another story, great setup always in the right gear and power always available when required and I'm getting 36mpg with only 2k on the clock.

I certainly don't expect the 0-60 times to come down from what I have read it's got a very low ratio gear for off roading and very high gear for motorway cruising and 7 further gears for normal use.

MPG figures will certainly increase but if it's going to be tuned for outright economy will it suffer the same as the 2.2 XF being in the wrong gear and constantly shifting up and down the box.

I previously owned a 3.0d 6 speed auto XF and that was a great auto also, can't say I noticed any performance gain from the 6 speed to the 8 speed XF (0-60 times never official decreased in the 8 speed) and they both performed perfectly well but I only managed 31mpg in that car.

Personally I think the main issue with the Evoque is the 2.2 engine not the 6 speed auto, as stated above I only managed 33mpg in an XF with 8 speed auto and stop/start and the XF is only 2wd and that shape creates a lot less drag.

Paul.
28-02-2013 09:49am
PhilSkill

Don't expect to suddenly gain 10mpg because of a 9 speed auto! you can drive the manual extreemly efficiently and still barely make 39mpg, the additional gears will allow them to reduce the higher revs required to change to the next gear but you can drive the manual with nearly no revs and it doesn't help.

MPG comes from the fuel in required to overcome car speed, engine speed/efficiency, acceleration, weight, drivetrain losses, tyre loses, change of direction, wind resistance, gradient, quality of fuel.

So the new gearbox may help engine speed, (and where it may help is top end rpm) some improved drivertrain losses, the rest require other changes, which hoefully they will also be working on.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
28-02-2013 09:52am
benzina

I don't know, i've always been happy with the way this 6-speed performs...very content with it.
And if their thinking of introducing stop/start on the auto's,i wouldn't have that either, i don't like it at all (tried it out test driving friends Merc E class),never got used to it, and i don't think it's the answer.
The only thing that would raise my eyebrows with interest,is if they eradicated the initial turbo lag.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 10:24am by benzina.)
28-02-2013 10:12am
Donny Dog

(28-02-2013 10:12am)benzina Wrote:  I don't know, i've always been happy with the way this 6-speed performs...very content with it.

To me, it's the worst automatic I've ever owned. Luckily, I spend most of the few miles I do in the car (it's a second vehicle) at a fairly steady speed, but when the need comes to change gear (accelerating, or even just from a standing start) it never seems to know what gear to pick. Sometimes it changes down and then back up again without any alteration in throttle position or speed. Ironically, it probably benefits my fuel consumption, as I find it necessary to be light on the throttle to avoid the sudden gear changes and racing engine revs. Additionally, the 'hesitancy' after a pause (for example, at a roundabout) is not only annoying but dangerous, although whether that's an engine management problem rather than the gearbox I don't know. By contrast, I have an eight-speed gearbox in my SL 500 which is absolutely seamless, you always find yourself in the correct gear, but you are never aware of it changing gear - if the new ZF box is like that (and they ally it with a better engine) I would certainly welcome it.
28-02-2013 10:52am
pacmeoff

The ZF auto (any number of gears) is one of the finest in the world. I believe it's all down to the 2.2 engine. comparing a 2.2 diesel auto against an auto SL500 it not really a fair comparison.

The Jaguar XF 2.2d & 3.0d are completely different cars in performance (gear change wise) and they are supplied with the same gearbox.

The main difference being the 3.0 litre is a good unit and the 2.2 is average.
28-02-2013 11:32am
timhum

I agree with Benzina, I find the 6 speed auto fine, I have been driving autos for years so have plenty to compare it with. Donny Dog have you discussed your issues with your dealer, could it be ecu programming issues?
On a different mpg question; I visit my son in France regularly and always seem to get worse fuel consumption than in the UK, does anyone know if this could be due to lower quality diesel over there?
Tim
28-02-2013 01:07pm
cutter7

One of the reasons for poor diesel quality, is due to the increased popularity of diesel power and the accompanying increased demand for more diesel fuel. There was a time when diesel fuel remained in the refinery storage tanks long enough to naturally separate and settle, allowing the clean fuel to be drawn off. Now with increased demand, diesel fuel never remains stationary long enough for settling, and the suspended water and solids are passed on to us! the user.

The change in refinery techniques is another problem. In order to get more products per dollar; diesel fuel is now being refined from more marginal portions of the crude oil barrel. This results in a lower-grade product that is inherently thicker and contains more contamination.

Thirdly, current fuel distribution methods also have a negative impact on the condition of the fuel at the time of delivery. In many cases, brokers control fuel sales to major distribution terminals and determine delivery dates. There is no telling how long that fuel has been in the distribution network and how many times it has been transferred. Seldom do these distributors filter the fuel as they transfer it..

(This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 01:29pm by cutter7.)
28-02-2013 01:29pm
Donny Dog

(28-02-2013 01:07pm)timhum Wrote:  I agree with Benzina, I find the 6 speed auto fine, I have been driving autos for years so have plenty to compare it with. Donny Dog have you discussed your issues with your dealer, could it be ecu programming issues?

No, but the car is booked in for its first service next Wednesday, so I will add this to the (already long!) list of things that require attention. I assume ECU is 'engine control unit'? (Don't want to ask about it without being sure I know what I'm talking about!).

Thanks very much for your helpful suggestion.

(28-02-2013 11:32am)pacmeoff Wrote:  The ZF auto (any number of gears) is one of the finest in the world. I believe it's all down to the 2.2 engine. comparing a 2.2 diesel auto against an auto SL500 it not really a fair comparison.

You'll get no argument from me about the engine, that's for sure, but it hadn't struck me that it could 'spoil' the gearbox. I also agree about comparing the Evoque with an SL500 - but that applies to everything about the car, not just the engine/gearbox. Given that the Evoque cost over half as much, the Merc. is certainly more than twice as good!
(This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 09:31pm by Donny Dog.)
28-02-2013 09:26pm