Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
6000 mile report
Straydox

6000 mile report

2.5 months down the road and 6000 miles completed it struck me today that perhaps its time I scribbled another update on the progress of an excellent vehicle.

Getting some miles on an SD4 really helps performance as well as fuel economy, I've learnt that the manual transmission requires a certain technique to drive smoothly - 1st gear being such a low ratio that it is even clutch friendly to pull away from rest in 2nd gear on a level road. It is evident that the engine management map has a quirk in it that it feels like full boost is available from the turbo from 2nd gear onwards (probably limited in 1st to protect the drivetrain) as it hurls itself at both the red-line and the horizon. I'd almost argue that its bordering on dangerous like some back-street-bodger-remap - a massive surge/lunge forward awaits the unwary though it does make it fun to drive.

Speaking of fun - the 2.2 SD4 manual is hilarious in the that it really ought not to be as much fun as it is to drive, it is decently quick, certainly swift enough to keep up with must stuff on the road and then when the inevitable bend arrives (we have lots in the UK) it handles so well it just makes one grin. Really, honestly the RRE has no right to scamper through the twisty stuff like it is so very capable of - I mean its a 4x4 off-roader isn't it?

Fuel economy ranges quite wildly from about 40mpg to an upper end of 46mpg (actual - always brimmed and trip reset and litres calculated to gallons) and an average of circa 42mpg. It is acceptable to me - I've given up razzing down the motorways these days so stick it in cruise@ 70mph and enjoy the ride. 50-60mph driving gives the best overall economy.

The RRE is an excellent motorway mile-eater and rather less relaxing on the A roads - its not a criticism - just an observation that the RRE needs 'driving more' (part of the fun factor but not always wanted), more input is required to make progress especially as there is quite a gap between the 4th and 5th gear ratios and then 6th seems barely any different then 5th - so downshifts need 4th for reasonable acceleration. The gear shift quality remains delightful (thankfully).

It is supremely comfortable - even with successive full days in the driver's seat. I've found that the temptation to tip front of the seat up leads to numb thighs and its better to keep the seat base pretty flat for enduring comfort.

The 825w Meridian is amazing - I've increased to Sub setting up about three notches from the centre setting point and love the sound - it is utterly amazing especially when cranked up after an especially testing day - quite beyond reproach. The USB connectivity has become unreliable to the point of going in to the dealer next week - I think there is a correlation between the capacity/read speed of the media device - small/fast devices are more reliable than large capacity (30GB upwards) sticks/disks. I'm 99% sure it is a s/w issue linked to trying re-index the data - and then it falls over. Most times switching to the radio for 10 seconds and back to 'My Music' fixes it.

Durability - the RRE is standing up well to the miles, the odd buzz here and there but nothing truly annoying - I'll ask the dealer to check when its in.

The Evoque has been on the roads for nearly a year now - maybe because mine is an unusual colour (I've still not seen another on the road), it seems to attract attention - and rather bizarrely from other Evoque drivers too - usually of the Fuji variety! Why????

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
02-08-2012 10:54pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: 6000 mile report

Hi Straydox,

'Cause us Fuji Drives still havent seen Mauritus in the metal (plastic,alu) yet!

Agree with your thoughts on the Manual, great fun to drive, and turbo and SD4 mapping can lunge you forwards at great acceleration, 1st is low, and can use 2nd but havent found myself doing that but I do change to second very quickly, and 6th should be a bit higher ratio would also help with mpg at 70mph.

Re USB, I have issues with anything over 4GB, it works for a while then hangs, sometimes needing a full switch off to recover, be very interested if they fix it for you with a SW update or something, I have a 250GB HDD, which is ace except it locks up after a while. 1,2 and 4Gb sticks crammed full all work faultlessly

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-08-2012 11:23pm
NightFox

Great review thanks, still unsure whether to change my order to an SD4 and still desparately want to see another Mauritius Blue in the flesh before it's too late to change my mind!

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
03-08-2012 08:49am
Straydox

(03-08-2012 08:49am)NightFox Wrote:  Great review thanks, still unsure whether to change my order to an SD4 and still desparately want to see another Mauritius Blue in the flesh before it's too late to change my mind!

Thanks - If you want to see Mauritius in the flesh then best head down to Warwick....PM me if you want to meet up...

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
03-08-2012 10:53am
SINGHY

Excellent review Straydox, I too am just over the 6k mile marker and I would agree with most of your observations. I've noticed recently that the MPG seems to increase if you drive it at higher speeds particulalrly on the motorway (75 as opposed to 70) and that you don't always have to use the high gears in urban driving to get the best MPG.

Pure SD4 5 door in Orkney Grey with Tech Pack, Xenons, Pan Roof, Auto dim mirror, Gloss black Dynamic grill upgrade, Roof, sde vents and waist rail wrapped in gloss black, Front Fogs, Style 4 Alloys and Spare Wheel - Collected on 6 April.
03-08-2012 02:48pm
NightFox

(03-08-2012 10:53am)Straydox Wrote:  Thanks - If you want to see Mauritius in the flesh then best head down to Warwick....PM me if you want to meet up...

Just got my build date through of 12th Oct, so if I don't see any soon I may well take you up on that offer, thanks! I've actually seen 2 Mauritius Blues, but one was going in the opposite direction on the M40 in a heavy rain storm and the other was barely visible in a dark airport car park that I passed on a shuttle bus at 2:00am, so neither really helped much!

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2012 05:28pm by NightFox.)
04-08-2012 05:28pm
SebM

Great, thanks !

Actually : '04 Lotus Elise Mk2 111 & '11 Land Rover Defender 90 SW RAW
08-08-2012 11:11am
Deeside

Excellent review. I have an SD4 manual and fast approcing 7000 miles in 4 months. I similarly brim the tank and calculate the exact mpg. I have only manage an average of 34.5 mpg, since new, rather dissapointed. I am hoping this will improve with more miles. Most of the mileage has been on motorways at an average of 75 mph. Maybe I need to slow down a bit to get better mpg. I find 1st gear far too short, I presume this is deliberate for those who tow large loads.

Only fault on the car so far is the nearside rear door will not unlock manually from inside, it will only unlock on the central locking. Not a major problem and I have checked that the child locks are not activated. Will have to wait for the dealer to fix when it is due a service.

Otherwise a great car and loving it.

Delivered 13th April; SD4 Prestige Manual, OG, Couture Interior ( Dark Cherry / Ivory), Pan Roof, Auto Tailgate, Adaptive Xenons, Dipping Int Mirror, Spare Wheel, Pureguard, and a few other items.
26-08-2012 07:53pm
rayaane

(26-08-2012 07:53pm)Deeside Wrote:  Excellent review. I have an SD4 manual and fast approcing 7000 miles in 4 months. I similarly brim the tank and calculate the exact mpg. I have only manage an average of 34.5 mpg, since new, rather dissapointed. I am hoping this will improve with more miles. Most of the mileage has been on motorways at an average of 75 mph. Maybe I need to slow down a bit to get better mpg. I find 1st gear far too short, I presume this is deliberate for those who tow large loads.

Only fault on the car so far is the nearside rear door will not unlock manually from inside, it will only unlock on the central locking. Not a major problem and I have checked that the child locks are not activated. Will have to wait for the dealer to fix when it is due a service.

Otherwise a great car and loving it.

34.5mpg i wish i had such fuel consumption, i don't know but my maximum has only ever been 32 on the motorway, and normal driving i get 28mpg! SD4 Automatic though
08-11-2012 06:35pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Rayaane, I also have an SD4 Auto but have been averaging 35.2mpg on mostly country roads and at the speed limit and up to 43 on the motorway.
Do you do a lot of stop start driving in London and how many miles are now on your odometer?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-11-2012 07:18pm