babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Evoque Purchase Questions - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Evoque Purchase Questions (/Thread-Evoque-Purchase-Questions)

Pages: 1 2 3

Evoque Purchase Questions - philnotts99 - 18-05-2016 02:53pm

Hello,

Newbie to the forum.

I am viewing a couple of Evoques this weekend. The first being a 2013 6 speed SD4 Dynamic with 16k miles on the clock and priced at 31k.

Has anyone gone from the 6 speed to the 9 speed and is it worth the extra costs? Or is the 6 speed just as good? I have also seen a very nice 2016 TD4 but this is 10k more at 40k. Is the 2016 models worth the extra costs?

I guess the following question is a bit all over the place but where does the MPG stand on each model?

My driving is mainly ring road driving to and from work.

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks,

Phil

RE: Evoque Purchase Questions - PhilSkill - 18-05-2016 05:00pm

I've not experienced a 2016 Car, but the 2012-15 are the 6 speed Ford engine, 2016 has the new LR Ingenium Engine and 9 speed. this should be more efficient, it's a smaller capacity and similar power and quieter, it is of course new so there has been a few small teething issues. Obviously a 2016 car will have warranty, the 2013 depends what your seller gives. 2016 model also requires Ad-Blue, which the 12-15 doesn't.

Checkout the entertainment system in the MY16, some have a reduced quality option depending on Spec you are buying, more modern interface but not great in Audio Quality.

I'd realistically expect 36mpg from an MY12-15, 40mpg from a MY16, depends on your driving and journey though.

Also see if either car came with a 5 Year service plan.

RE: Evoque Purchase Questions - Steve D - 18-05-2016 05:50pm

I thought the 9 speed gearbox came out in around 2014?

RE: Evoque Purchase Questions - XFullFatTim - 18-05-2016 06:38pm

The 9 speeder was introduced for 2014MY in September 2013.
I've had both the 6 speeder and the 9 speeder. Up until there was a gearbox ECU software upgrade the 9 speeder was brilliant, almost imperceptible gear changes in D, superb take off and great fun in S and Dynamic modes and then LR did a software upgrade that totally ruined the car! I was told that yes, it was supposed to scream up to 4500 rpm in 1st gear (the gear box SHOULD pull away cleanly in 2nd or even 3rd with slick changes at much lower revs, then it started to burn up DPF sensors, again I was assured that this was "normal"................ LR forgot that I had been running the faultless car for 9 months prior to this. Oddly the software upgrade was removed from dealer's computer systems and no more upgrades were carried out until the boffins at ZF could figure out the issues. I believe the issues are all fixed now but after 3 replacement DPF sensors in as many weeks I changed my Evoque for an RRSport L494. Fuel economy with the 9 speeder is considerably better than it was with the 6 speeder.

At the same time as the 9 speed gear box 2014MY cars built after February there was the then optional (now standard) InControl Remote and InControl Secure options - within 3 weeks of my car being delivered both Remote and Secure were superseded by a better system........... I have it on my RRS and it is a very good security system. If you are going for any Evoque with Keyless Entry have the dealer check that all the upgrades and security checks have been carried out on it as this has been a problem that LR at first denied was an issue until insurers jacked up premiums because of the number of cars being stolen..........

RE: Evoque Purchase Questions - PhilSkill - 18-05-2016 09:25pm

(18-05-2016 05:50pm)Steve D Wrote:  I thought the 9 speed gearbox came out in around 2014?

Yes it did as Tim says, the Op mentioned a 2013 6 Speed or a 2016 9 speed, so was just commenting on those.

RE: Evoque Purchase Questions - Steve D - 18-05-2016 11:11pm

Ah. My mistake. Was reading your post where you said the 2012-2015 were the 6 speed ford engine.

RE: Evoque Purchase Questions - Stadt Panzer - 19-05-2016 07:59am

I've had 6-Speed and 9-Speed boxes. The 9-Speed is the better box when it comes to fuel consumption, JLR have had the software problems sorted and mine works really well.

If your going see the difference between the two on short trips? I doubt it.

You really need to look at the differences between the two models and then only you can decide if the 2016 is worth the extra 10k.

RE: Evoque Purchase Questions - Pete - 19-05-2016 08:26am

I've been pretty happy with my 6 speed. I also had the choice of a newer car, but I wanted to save a bit of money so went for the cheaper in the end.

I'm not sure that the 9 speed would pay for itself in terms of economy, so I'd look at the other options. Like Panzer said, if the older model has better equipment, I'd go for that one (for me, an older higher spec car was better than a newer, more expensive, base model). You can always get a personal plate and no one will know how old it is.

RE: Evoque Purchase Questions - XFullFatTim - 19-05-2016 09:40am

The problem with the 9 speeder is that 8th and 9th gears are "overdrive" gears IIRC I couldn't get my 9 speeder into 9th until it was doing around 62mph and then the revs would drop so that it was turning at about 1200rpm at 70! 1st gear in the 9speeder is also a crawler gear, only meant for pulling away when towing heavy loads and off road for better engine braking effect / vehicle speed control when going down steep slopes when HDC alone might make the car seem to be going too fast.
If you are only doing short trips then you are unlikely to see any benefit in fuel consumption of the diesel as they prefer to run at steady revs on longer trips, otherwise the petrol engine will offer similar mpg in stop start motoring and you also won't have the worry of the DPF clogging up with a petrol engined Evoque (if you can find one!)

RE: Evoque Purchase Questions - philnotts99 - 19-05-2016 12:47pm

Thank you very much for the replies and information.

At the moment i have two Evoque 2.2 SD4 Dynamic's and one 2.0 TD4 HSE Dynamic that i am looking at.

2013 6 speed, 16k miles, priced at 31k

2014, 9 speed, 24k miles, priced at 35k

2015 ( new shape), 9 speed, 3k miles, prices at 40k

They all have the options i want - Panoramic Glass Roof, Nav, Privacy glass, Bi-Xenon and Upgraded stereo.

It sounds like from the comments the 9 speed maybe wasted on me, due to my short drives to work and i should either consider the 2013 model or the new 2.0 model? Just trying to work out if the extra 9k spend is worth it! Do the Evoques hold their value or similar to other cars you lose £££ as soon as you drive it away?

Thank you

Phil