babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Hazard lights 3 flash - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: In Car Electronics (/Forum-In-Car-Electronics)
+--- Thread: Hazard lights 3 flash (/Thread-Hazard-lights-3-flash)

Pages: 1 2

Hazard lights 3 flash - LG8340 - 18-04-2016 07:14pm

Has anyone done or able to provide a solution to allow the driver to signal thank-you to a following car with a 3 flash hazard warning.

Of course it can be done by pressing the hazard button and pressing again a few seconds later.

However lane-changing 3 flash is now standard so why not 3 flash hazard (maybe not standard).

Any thoughts?

Michael

RE: Hazard lights 3 flash - PhilSkill - 18-04-2016 08:35pm

Extending the indicators is to ensure other drivers see you are indicating is for safety while you steer.

Flashing hazards at other drivers is un-official and even possibly illegal if the car is not a hazard. Don't think any manufacturer will make this a "feature".

RE: Hazard lights 3 flash - LG8340 - 18-04-2016 08:51pm

I agree that 3 flash won't become mainstream nevertheless I'd love to have any positive input into the concept.

RE: Hazard lights 3 flash - jitenc - 19-04-2016 12:33am

Once, IMHO is fine. Then, more than that gets irritating. Flashing once, is like giving a thumbs up or saying Cheers.
And in Lindon especially, by the time someone has given me the third flash, I have already changed lanes, cut someone up and already overtaken the thanking driver!

RE: Hazard lights 3 flash - Steve D - 19-04-2016 07:25am

Don't do what I did - I hit the hazard twice in succession as a quick thank you to someone who let me cut in front of them but hit the stop/start button instead and came to a grinding halt, handbrake came on and gear knob retracted. Worse thing was, I was running the car using the emergency start procedure and had to fumble around in the middle lane of the A13 during rush hour to start it up again!

RE: Hazard lights 3 flash - XFullFatTim - 19-04-2016 09:15am

IIRC use of the hazard warning lights is illegal when the car is moving............ Even when meant as a Thank You. Why not just wave at the other driver.

RE: Hazard lights 3 flash - Steve D - 19-04-2016 09:44am

(19-04-2016 09:15am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  IIRC use of the hazard warning lights is illegal when the car is moving............ Even when meant as a Thank You. Why not just wave at the other driver.

Now Tim that just can't be true. What about those cars that automatically activate the hazards under severe/emergency braking? They're still moving aren't they?

RE: Hazard lights 3 flash - RangeRobere - 19-04-2016 06:13pm

As a thank you, I just press the hazard light, wait a second, and press again. You can see the hazards on the dash and as soon as you get one flash, just press it again. This is not too common in the states, but I see it more and more. 18 wheelers and large trucks use it to say thank you when you let them in, for example.

RE: Hazard lights 3 flash - XFullFatTim - 19-04-2016 09:56pm

Steve your Evoque should also do that. I think you might find that the hazards don't come on until you have stopped, but personnally have never had to find out..........

RE: Hazard lights 3 flash - Steve D - 20-04-2016 07:45am

I might have to give that a go and see what happens - on a clear road of course!