babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Help - Mac cooling fan not switching off and running very loudly - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Site News & Chat (/Forum-Site-News-Chat)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (/Forum-Off-Topic)
+---- Forum: Everything Else (/Forum-Everything-Else)
+---- Thread: Help - Mac cooling fan not switching off and running very loudly (/Thread-Help-Mac-cooling-fan-not-switching-off-and-running-very-loudly)

Help - Mac cooling fan not switching off and running very loudly - XFullFatTim - 16-11-2013 10:48pm

My Mac 29" PC tonight powered up and the cooling fan that normally is very quiet if it runs is running all the time and loudly. I've tried powering down and leaving it but whenever I power it up again the cooling fan starts up as soon as I press the on button on the back of the unit....................

RE: Help - Mac cooling fan not switching off and running very loudly - mickydd - 16-11-2013 10:53pm

(16-11-2013 10:48pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  My Mac 29" PC tonight powered up and the cooling fan that normally is very quiet if it runs is running all the time and loudly. I've tried powering down and leaving it but whenever I power it up again the cooling fan starts up as soon as I press the on button on the back of the unit....................
Has this started following an update to Mavericks, I read something on a Mac site about an issue with this.

RE: Help - Mac cooling fan not switching off and running very loudly - XFullFatTim - 16-11-2013 10:58pm

Thanks Micky, no updates done but I risked leaving it running and using Google I have found it's a well known issue and how to cure it!
Shut it down, disconnect from the power source, wait 15 seconds, plug into the power again, then reboot.................. it worked and I have silence again.
Maybe it's telling me I don't use it enough - I have a Macbook Air and an iPad2.5 that I tend to use more these days.

RE: Help - Mac cooling fan not switching off and running very loudly - m_101 - 17-11-2013 02:05pm

If you want to adjust it manually (to try to blow some of the dust out of there) then there's a freeware program called SMCfancontrol which will allow you to do so. I used to do this to stop my old macbook pro from getting hot while gaming.
Ps I would recommend the Mavericks update - it's free and I think a decent bit faster than Lion / Mountain Lion

RE: Help - Mac cooling fan not switching off and running very loudly - tetstb - 17-11-2013 07:02pm

Id stay away from Mavericks unless you have fairly recent hardware, my 2008 iMac is slower and I have no end of Bluetooth issues since but my Macbook Air 2012 model is fine.

No real benefit to be honest anyway and I am a fairly hardcore Apple user so I am going back.