babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Black wheels - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Black wheels (/Thread-Black-wheels)

Black wheels - XFullFatTim - 20-08-2011 01:01pm

We have already discussed the "coolness" of these but today I remembered why, while they are beautiful to behold, they are a pain in the butt to keep clean. Road dirt is generally light coloured and on black wheels shows very quickly - this morning I was washing my Defender 90 which has Anthracite coloured ZU rims It hasn't moved a wheel in 4 months but the wheels are filthy with general dust and muddy water stains and it really shows so big job cleaning the alloys this morning. So if you aren't a detailing freak then black wheels are not for you!
These lighter than black wheels really show the dirt too
[Image: 1433a600.jpg]

RE: Black wheels - doug - 20-08-2011 01:22pm

The same can be said for a black car,Never again.
I fitted a 30ppm water filter, to stop my car drying with White spots before I had dryed it off.
Very hard water in Suffolk.

RE: Black wheels - XFullFatTim - 20-08-2011 01:27pm

Last (and only!) black car I had was back in 1994 - a metallic Black Volvo 480ES.............. The best colour for not showing the dirt that I have had is Stornoway Grey - the last RRS and the FFRR went for weeks and weeks and weeks without a wash and never showed the dirt until the winter when road salt white dust showed on top of all the other dirt!

RE: Black wheels - paulus599 - 20-08-2011 11:19pm

The last (and like Tim the very last) black car I ever owned was, wait for it..... an MG Metro. (OK, I know but someone had to! Confused )

Never again, I must have tried every type of car wash and polish that was available but it was still bloody hard work and lasted about 5 mins. It wasn't a metallic though, which will make a difference and there's nothing can match the look of a freshly detailed black car (IMHO of course).

Now what about this white one I've ordered? Shocked

RE: Black wheels - XFullFatTim - 20-08-2011 11:49pm

I had an MG Metro too but mine was Opaline Green! Then I had several MG Maestro 2.0ltrs.
OH white cars don't get as dirty as you would think, problem is when you go anywhere near roadworks with fresh tar................

RE: Black wheels - Charlie - 21-08-2011 08:56am

Stop rubbishing black cars, mine will look great (for the first week at least) Confused

Happy times eh? My Mum had a MG metro in BRG and my Dad had a MG Maestro Rolling Eyes in white at the same time. He then traded it in for a XJS convertible without her knowing - she never forgave him! XJS still on the road now though!