babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Engine improvement - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Engine improvement (/Thread-Engine-improvement)

Pages: 1 2 3

Engine improvement - chris taylor - 12-04-2013 06:58pm

Hi all the evoque is a great car with fantastic looks and handling prowess that in my opinion make it far superior than its German and Japanese rivals. All i miss is a V6 option as i do not feel that a 4 cylinder engine does the look and feel of the evoque justice and think a better engine is all it would need to push it comfortably into the position of best in class in all sectors. does anyone else feel the same? I also feel that a better engine would massively improve the sales of the car as if a person looking to buy a car in the evoques class but wishes for a V6 they have to buy a BMW or an Audi.

RE: Engine improvement - rchrdleigh - 12-04-2013 08:00pm

This has been covered a few times before.
The problem is that the engine bay is not big enough to allow the fitting of the current range of V6 engines.
The trend with engines is towards smaller more fuel efficient and poweful engines, the upcoming range of LR Hotfire engines may well go a long way towards providing what you're looking for without going to a V6.
Also the upcoming 9 speed gearbox is going to give significant improvements to economy and overall performance.

RE: Engine improvement - Straydox - 12-04-2013 08:10pm

I completely agree, actually with the announcement of the ZF 9 speed transmission LR have upped their game, there are new engines in the pipeline too. I don't think LR have a V6 engine candidate right now and the drive for reduced eco footprint globally makes it really unlikely anytime soon.

RE: Engine improvement - chris taylor - 12-04-2013 08:56pm

(12-04-2013 08:00pm)rchrdleigh Wrote:  This has been covered a few times before.
The problem is that the engine bay is not big enough to allow the fitting of the current range of V6 engines.
The trend with engines is towards smaller more fuel efficient and poweful engines, the upcoming range of LR Hotfire engines may well go a long way towards providing what you're looking for without going to a V6.
Also the upcoming 9 speed gearbox is going to give significant improvements to economy and overall performance.

We have spoken to a land rover official and he informed us that the ZF box makes very little improvement on road as the first two gears are only used for off road as they are designed for slower speeds that are only needed when the terrain response is set to off road. He said that you set of in 3rd gear on road and that the new box makes very minor improvements in fuel economy Also the german manufacturers manage to fit V6 engines to their similar sized and smaller cars not to mention that land rover used to fit the old V6 to freelander 1 so I'm sure that land rover could make small if any changes to the evoque to accommodate an engine that is comparable to that of the audi SQ3/5 and 4X4 BMW Msport .35 models. If i want a land rover product that is comparable to an evoque with a V6 engine, I now have to consider the new range rover sport. My point is that every other Premium SUV manufacturer offers economy and performance engines that are as eco friendly as land rovers engines if not more.

Engine improvement - cutter7 - 12-04-2013 08:57pm

There’s no arguing that it would be the right move for the Evoque, considering the 2013 BMW X1 can be had with a 3.0-liter inline-six with 300-hp.

Don’t forget there’s also Porsche‘s upcoming Macan offering that promises to deliver a 370-hp V6 powerplant under the bonnet..

RE: Engine improvement - BA74 - 12-04-2013 09:49pm

Agree... Competitors are starting to circle with great looks and more power. Porsche Macan and BMW X4 both look great and will be more sports orientated.
If the Evoque comes out with more power I will be purchasing again as I love the style and handling but want more power. If not I will be considering rivals.
You have less than 18 months Land Rover!

RE: Engine improvement - chris taylor - 12-04-2013 10:24pm

(12-04-2013 09:49pm)BA74 Wrote:  Agree... Competitors are starting to circle with great looks and more power. Porsche Macan and BMW X4 both look great and will be more sports orientated.
If the Evoque comes out with more power I will be purchasing again as I love the style and handling but want more power. If not I will be considering rivals.
You have less than 18 months Land Rover!

i agree great looks/handling fantastic interior interior, but must keep up with what the germans offer engine wise .i want to buy british but we need engine options to compete & land rover have the investment to do this.

RE: Engine improvement - SINGHY - 12-04-2013 10:46pm

Without a V6 engine I couldn't justify forking out over 40k for a dynamic because its just not a 40k car, hence went for a Pure, but even this at £35k only has an ageing ford/Volvo 4 cylinder lump.

RE: Engine improvement - Evo-king - 12-04-2013 11:15pm

Having owned straight 6 and V6 diesels I am in agreement with the desire for JLR to come up with a 6 cylinder diesel for the Evoque.

But if i am not mistaken this will never happen, I find this 2.2 diesel quiet and packing loads of grunt, perfectly adequate for real world driving, plus LR have engineered this diesel with off road performance in mind.

To me the key to this is how up to date these new Hotfire engines are.

Has anyone yet been given an idea of the new engines stats?

RE: Engine improvement - XFullFatTim - 13-04-2013 09:43am

^ +1

The voice of common sense has spoken! Thanks I totally agree - Land Rover engineers it's engines (and they are significantly modified over the standard versions from Ford and PSA) to suit off road use rather than on road use.
To get a 3.0ltr engine under the bonnet of an Evoque would require huge modifications and probably mean ruining the car's lines. I believe the Hotfire engines that are coming will offer significant increases in refinement and torque, meaning a V6 would be unnecessary - in addition V6 engines are considerably heavier which would increase CO2 output, emissions and therefore tax.