babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Winter Tyres - to fit so late in the season or not? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Maintenance (/Forum-Maintenance)
+--- Thread: Winter Tyres - to fit so late in the season or not? (/Thread-Winter-Tyres-to-fit-so-late-in-the-season-or-not)

Winter Tyres - to fit so late in the season or not? - XFullFatTim - 26-03-2013 12:36pm

I got home last week having left the car on it's 20" summer tyres over the winter. I wasn't expecting to come back to a mid-winter that has arrived at the end of March.............. Now I have used my 20's in cold temperatures without problems before but not in several inches of snow. I have a trip to Chester coming up in the next 3 weeks and I wonder if it will be worth changing over to the 19" Ice and Snow tyres I have for winter use. They are brilliant in heavy rain too, but I'm not expecting torrents of rain.
Anybody any thoughts on whether its worth changing over for a couple of weeks when we could suddenly be plunged into summer temperatures!

RE: Winter Tyres - to fit so late in the season or not? - Evogirl - 26-03-2013 12:51pm

All this snow could be gone within the next week or so. I am in Whitby and a friend drove from here to Preston on Sunday with no problems whatsoever he said the roads were absolutely fine.

RE: Winter Tyres - to fit so late in the season or not? - peet - 26-03-2013 01:30pm

I took my winter tyres off 3 weeks ago because somebody told me it was almost spring Smile

RE: Winter Tyres - to fit so late in the season or not? - Bodlyfunctions - 26-03-2013 05:02pm

I had mine booked into my local garage this weekend to put my 20" style 6 back on - cancelled that on Friday morning. Given that West Yorkshire is still under a foot of snow in places with roads still blocked and threats of more later this week, i think i may wait a while longer...
Who knows, maybe my summer tyres will not even go on this year...???

RE: Winter Tyres - to fit so late in the season or not? - XFullFatTim - 26-03-2013 06:07pm

Actually the summer tyres aren't too bad in snow, and I still have lots of tread left on them but it seems a waste to have a set of proper winter wheels/tyres and not to use them this year!

RE: Winter Tyres - to fit so late in the season or not? - Offroadstu - 26-03-2013 08:10pm

Had no issues with 20s in the snow.

RE: Winter Tyres - to fit so late in the season or not? - timhum - 26-03-2013 09:27pm

If you have your winter tyres mounted on rims it's no problem to change them over, better safe than sorry. I've used my winter tyres in warmer weather and there's no issues with them,
Tim