babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
MPG... What's the problem? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: MPG... What's the problem? (/Thread-MPG-What-s-the-problem)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - paul - 11-01-2013 11:29pm

(10-01-2013 11:26pm)EpicEvo Wrote:  17 mpg... I think your just been silly... No one on here has reported that bad mpg at all. An s3 has nothing on an evoque. And there completely different cars. You might as well compare a Prius to a hummer and then complain... Pointless argument

Firstly I'm not being silly. These were the values shown on each car's computer at the end of each trip. Each trip was driven roughly the same way over the same relatively short route. 17 mpg for the Si4 does not reflect the average mpg for that car...just the average mpg for that particular trip. Same with 27 mpg for the SD4.

Secondly, other than mpg, I'm not comparing the cars themselves. Of course the S3 and Evoque are completely different cars. But for both the S3 and Si4 the manufacturer quotes 33 mpg for the combined average. So my point is that the Evoque appears to get significantly less mpg than you would expect based on manufacturer's quotations (at least when compared to one other car).

Well over a year ago I had an Si4 on order. Based on quoted figures, I assumed that the mpg would be similar to current car. I was happy with that. But I cancelled due to all the feedback on this forum, and ultimately when I asked the dealer if I could try the cars again and check out the mpg over a set route. I was surprised to find out how low the mpg was. So I regularly check back on this forum to see if anything has changed.

I thought that this mpg comparison would be interesting to some people on this forum.

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - PhilSkill - 11-01-2013 11:42pm

Trip gave 37.2mpg this fill, actual was 37.8, Bit more normal but have been driving pretty carefully deliberately so doubt I could get any more, so not being that pleased I thought it time to check my tyre pressures having done a reasonable journey so they weren't too cold, and found from the correct settings...

LF down 4psi
RF down 3psi
LR down 3psi
RR down 5psi

Hoping the next fill gives a bit better mpg! it will be heading down the M5 on it's next major trip!
and this will explain some of the drop in mpg from it's best last year that i've been struggling with.

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - Asty - 12-01-2013 12:15am

(11-01-2013 02:55pm)dondon Wrote:  don't know, you tell me. If they can do it, we can do it.

If they can do it, we should be able to too. If we can't, they are providing an absolutely pointless, irrelevant, statistic. They may as well not even bother.

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - dondon - 12-01-2013 06:34am

the mpg is a powerful sales tool and the salesman bring it up in every negotiation and we as buyers make a decision base on that statement. I will not buy a car just because of its looks.
the mpg is influenced by a different factors like: tire pressure, car electronics and of course the weight of the driver foot...etc.

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - jdiamond - 12-01-2013 08:50pm

We picked up our Evoque today (Dymanic Diesel Coupe Automatic) and I was very hopefully concerning fuel efficiency due to the forums I had read and people stating they were getting 40mpg plus.

I have a BMW 5 series (520) diesel and I always do my best to get the most out of my car and often get about 44 mpg. I thought that there would be no problem something similar out of the Evoque as the manufacturers figures for both are pretty similar and I am a careful driver. Now I know that it is early days - only driven 200 miles - and you should expect a couple of mpg increase after a thousand miles or so but I cannot tell you how disappointed I am to only get 33mpg on a journey of mixed roads but with light traffic. I bought this car for a few reasons of which fuel economy and 4 wheel drive were a must. I am getting rid of my wife's Mercedes because her CLK 220 only does about 33 mpg (diesel, automatic) and I wanted her to have something better.

I have to ask, how are people on this forum getting 43 mpg - I cannot see how it can be done unless you drive on a motorway, downhill!

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - PhilSkill - 12-01-2013 08:57pm

I was getting toward 40 mpg at 5000miles but today I used a full tank of fuel from start to finish on M5 with no traffic stoppages, but poor weather... 30.8 mpg (trip said 32)! This is by far the worst yet and as said above I'd checked tyre pressures and adjusted... and was hopeful this would sort it. Sad

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - rhysadams - 12-01-2013 09:54pm

Over the 5000 miles, it has averaged 30mpg, small commutes and a couple of long journeys. But got 39.2mpg from Derby to Leeds last week. With stop start traffic in Sheffield

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - timhum - 14-01-2013 12:09am

I'm a little sceptical of some of the mpg claims that are posted, rarely with details of distances, type of roads and average speeds; its pretty easy to get a high figure over say 50 miles when cruising slowly on a dual carriageway. My advice to any prospective buyer is to reckon on 32/34 mpg over say 3k miles of mixed driving. I'd love to be proved wrong and will take up any offers of a demonstration as to on how to significantly on my figures; my car is an SD4 auto.
Tim

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - dondon - 14-01-2013 08:05am

well, we know the auto gear box is not economical as a manual and being a 4x4 it should have ~7% fuel consumption. when some of the drivers said 11-13% i was very disappointed, my employer has a RR sport auto and has around 11%, different weight, engine...etc.

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - Samson - 14-01-2013 03:26pm

Had a loan car - a Jaguar XF 2.2D - the same engine as the Evoque, although the XF has a 8-speed auto. Covered approximately 150 miles in 4 days (weekend driving included) and achieved according to the trip computer 33mpg. Covered 150 miles in my Evoque over 4 days (weekend included), same routes/driving conditions, although weather is a lot colder - trip reading after 150 miles was 29.3mpg. Both cars had similar mileage on them - Jaguar 1700 and mine 1500. Given the weight/size of the Evoque relative to the 'streamline XF', 6-speed vs 8-speed, 4 wheel drive vs 2wd, I am quite pleased with the Evoque's mpg.