babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
MPG... What's the problem? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: MPG... What's the problem? (/Thread-MPG-What-s-the-problem)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - jitenc - 10-06-2013 06:19am

(10-06-2013 12:33am)Biker Wrote:  This is an extract from a Freelander Si4 Review:

HEAVY CONSUMPTION

But 14 litres per 100km seemed a bit steep, particularly as it's not, say, the size of the Discovery, for instance. It's bigger than it used to be but still not huge enough, in my book, to warrant such a hefty consumption.

Of course, it's also now equipped with the fabulous Evoque's four-cylinder turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine (177kW/340Nm of torque), complete with the six-speed ZF gearbox with CommandShift.

When I queried the consumption with Land Rover, there was equal consternation, and it seems it is unusual for the vehicle to drink gas so thirstily, particularly as I do little city driving these days. They cite figures of around 9.6 litres per 100km for a combined cycle. So perhaps mine was an exception.

Either way, you're sure to get better figures from the 140kW/420Nm 2.2-litre TD4 diesel version.

Full link: http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/cars/land-rover/freelander-si4-is-fun-but-thirsty-1.1527543#.UbUMo_k3CSo

Typical. The only way that LR can get out of this subject is to act baffled like us.... If you can't win them over, join them....
I am still surviving on 29.5 mpg. It no point changing the car to a 9 speed auto, as I will not get back as much for my current one. So, I will have to continue driving with poor mpg. I rarely change my cars frequently. It's absurd to buy a car brand new, unless you are going to use it till the end. That's only for some of us. Sad

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - benzina - 10-06-2013 01:43pm

I read the 9-speed auto will only improve the fuel economy by 4%, and the impending inclusion of the stop-start system on the diesel auto will improve it a further 7%. That's only 11% overall improvement anyway.
I for one am happy with my economy, and i'm sooo glad i DON'T have the dreaded stop/start system.

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - PhilSkill - 10-06-2013 02:00pm

No way my Stop/Start saves 7%, depends on where you are driving, if you rarely stop at traffic lights it rarely cuts in, and then if you have Air-con on and lights and heater it rearely cuts in even if you do stop..., I often forget I even have Stop/Start! Only time it was useful was when stuck on the M5 in a traffic jam, it's a nifty trick for official figures and if in a City it will likely save you a bit more, but crawling traffic it's not much use unless you actually stop for a while.

Don't forget benzina there is an off button and it's disabled in Dynamic mode anyway, (buttons almost as difficult to press as the 2nd air temperature dial that people have such difficuty with Laughing )

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - benzina - 10-06-2013 02:12pm

But once you disable it, doesn't it always default back on with the next start up?

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - PhilSkill - 10-06-2013 03:32pm

It does but the button is 2 inches from my finger when I have my hand on the gear stick...

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - benzina - 10-06-2013 07:06pm

Well, although it's not far from finger tip (and it's probably just me), but i still wouldn't want to, or have to remember to disengage it on every start up. I tried it out on a loan Merc for a couple of weeks....it's just not the answer, i find it really disruptive and obtrusive, but again, thats just me.

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - PhilSkill - 10-06-2013 11:16pm

It is something that takes while getting used to, but as much as it doesnt do very much in real MPG saving, its quite unobtrusive, doesnt effect driving unless you start driving round it like leaving the clutch down and soon every new car will have it!

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - XFullFatTim - 11-06-2013 04:53am

Leave the climate control on then if it only takes the ac being on to disable it!

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - benzina - 11-06-2013 06:19am

Is that true with climate control completely disabling it? If this is true,then that would be passable. The merc i had with climate control didn't stop it...every traffic light with the stop/start, and i deliberatly left it engaged to see if i would get used to it.....NO WAY!

RE: MPG... What's the problem? - PhilSkill - 11-06-2013 08:37am

Generally no, AC isn't enough to disable it as such, but it does make it not last as long off e.g. it may start up again while sat stationery for a period with the A/C running either for Battery charging or more cooling.