babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
First cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: First cold morning - evoque wouldn't open (/Thread-First-cold-morning-evoque-wouldn-t-open)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

First cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - lavamyz - 29-11-2012 10:09am

Morning!

The car was frozen for the first time this morning and wouldn't open at all. Doors were clicking and hazards flashing off the remote button but couldn't open the doors or boot. They were stuck solid.

I didn't want to force it, I used the other car. But is it just a case of giving the door a hefty tug? Not experienced anything like this before and Had many different vehicles in the same lovely cold weather.

RE: Firs cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - XFullFatTim - 29-11-2012 10:13am

Sounds like the car was wet when the frost came on and the door seals have frozen to the body

RE: Firs cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - IKM - 29-11-2012 10:21am

(29-11-2012 10:09am)lavamyz Wrote:  Morning!

The car was frozen for the first time this morning and wouldn't open at all. Doors were clicking and hazards flashing off the remote button but couldn't open the doors or boot. They were stuck solid.

I didn't want to force it, I used the other car. But is it just a case of giving the door a hefty tug? Not experienced anything like this before and Had many different vehicles in the same lovely cold weather.
Same issue, but I just forced it. I've been doing that with my Freelanders for years, and so far no damage. I probably shouldn't be doing it, but needs must!

RE: Firs cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - jorn - 29-11-2012 10:23am

put some talc powder to the door seals and they wont stick

RE: Firs cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - Sarcastrix - 29-11-2012 01:56pm

I've have various cars doing that over the years, common problem when the seals get damp. As jorn says some talc or a very thin wipe over with petroleum jelly. mmmmm jelly Smile

RE: Firs cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - XFullFatTim - 29-11-2012 07:17pm

Just be careful using petroleum jelly as it can dissolve neoprene and rubber - better to find some marine silicone grease or even some spray polish but protect the rest of the paint work before spraying it around

Firs cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - cutter7 - 29-11-2012 08:17pm

Maybe safer with KY Jelly? I don't think it dissolves rubber!!

-3 this morning got in no problem!!

[Image: a2u7y2u4.jpg]

RE: Firs cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - Ian s - 29-11-2012 08:34pm

(29-11-2012 08:17pm)cutter7 Wrote:  Maybe safer with KY Jelly? I don't think it dissolves rubber!!

hope not...ShockedShocked

RE: Firs cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - SimonS - 29-11-2012 08:57pm

I had the opposite problem on Wednesday morning. I stopped to pick up my passenger and when he got in the door would not close. I discovered that the handle was partly frozen and would not pull all the way out. It moved far enough to unlock the door but not far enough to reset the system so that it would then lock. A god pull on the handle sorted it out.

RE: Firs cold morning - evoque wouldn't open - The Valeter - 29-11-2012 10:24pm

(29-11-2012 08:17pm)cutter7 Wrote:  Maybe safer with KY Jelly? I don't think it dissolves rubber!!

The problem is then explaining to the wife why there is a tub of KY Jelly in the garage or by the front door etc...........Embarrassed