babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
which gear is on? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: which gear is on? (/Thread-which-gear-is-on)

which gear is on? - jojosr - 02-10-2012 08:47pm

I have SD4 automatic fear, but I can not see, which gear is actually on. The only posibility how to "recall" the gear shift number is to manually shift with paddle.
My question is, if there is any gimmick or trick in setting to make gear shift numbers visible.
Thanks

RE: which gear is on? - rchrdleigh - 02-10-2012 08:57pm

Simple answer is No.
Only way to display gear is as you do now with the paddle.
Thought the point of having an auto was to let the car decide the right gear for you?

RE: which gear is on? - jojosr - 02-10-2012 09:02pm

well, but sometimes is up to you to shift up or down earlier as the car do...

RE: which gear is on? - XFullFatTim - 02-10-2012 09:31pm

If you want to know which gear you are in then use S mode and the paddles, you will get the gears displayed all the time, but TBH it defeats the point of having an automatic. You soon get used to guessing which gear it is in from the rev counter if you watch it while driving.

RE: which gear is on? - benzina - 04-10-2012 01:32pm

On a related side note, if we leave the auto in either D or S mode to do the changes, the car always starts in 2nd gear for a standing start,and while i understand it's good for economy in D mode, i would have thought it to be logical for Sport mode to start in 1st gear, since it is about sports motoring, and not economy.....any comments?

RE: which gear is on? - XFullFatTim - 04-10-2012 04:22pm

I have a suspicion that the auto's first is more of a crawler gear and for engine braking off road. There's no point in pulling away in it as it sends the revs sky high very quickly, not great for economy/ emissions

RE: which gear is on? - rchrdleigh - 04-10-2012 04:55pm

XFullFatTim: You're right 1st is a low ratio gear which as you say is really good for engine braking off road. Go along to a LR Experience Centre and off road you'll use 1st virtually all the time.