babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Heavy Rain - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Heavy Rain (/Thread-Heavy-Rain)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Heavy Rain - XFullFatTim - 27-09-2012 09:21am

Probably better that you took the 500 Splash................................. imagine how upset you would have been had you gone places you thought your Evoque could go and it got drowned because the water was too deep.................at least the Fiat kept your adventures into puddles to shallower ones!

RE: Heavy Rain - Urban Splash - 27-09-2012 07:12pm

Aye, true. Also not repeat what my wife did a few years ago and attempt to drive through a 'puddle' and write off her new Clio....

RE: Heavy Rain - Bodlyfunctions - 27-09-2012 10:28pm

Not sure you can drown the Evoque, short of driving it into a swimming pool.
In the floods of June this year in West Yorkshire i drove mine through a 'puddle' with water over the bonnet and the headlights under for a good 50-80 foot. The darkness was more scary than worrying about the car. She performed beautifully! I did lose the plastic tow cover somewhere along the way though

RE: Heavy Rain - rchrdleigh - 27-09-2012 10:40pm

Evoque has a good wading depth (500mm) but it is not indistructable. Drive into flowing, rather than static water which is deeper than expected and the vehicle could float and could then drown. Get water into the electrics and it could also drown.

RE: Heavy Rain - IKM - 27-09-2012 10:43pm

(27-09-2012 10:28pm)Bodlyfunctions Wrote:  Not sure you can drown the Evoque, short of driving it into a swimming pool.
In the floods of June this year in West Yorkshire i drove mine through a 'puddle' with water over the bonnet and the headlights under for a good 50-80 foot. The darkness was more scary than worrying about the car. She performed beautifully! I did lose the plastic tow cover somewhere along the way though
I'm not sure about that. I guess that's why they have snorkels for Defender and Discovery etc. But even so, the amount of grit that can be thrown up by that type of 'puddle' doesn't do the bodywork any favours (I know from experience with Freelander!).

RE: Heavy Rain - Bodlyfunctions - 28-09-2012 07:33am

(27-09-2012 10:43pm)IKM Wrote:  I'm not sure about that. I guess that's why they have snorkels for Defender and Discovery etc. But even so, the amount of grit that can be thrown up by that type of 'puddle' doesn't do the bodywork any favours (I know from experience with Freelander!).

It's not something I would do daily but the water was rising about a foot a hour and I wasn't prepared to leave it where it was. Rivers had burst there banks so water moving at a fair rate too. Major rush though.

RE: Heavy Rain - XFullFatTim - 28-09-2012 09:31am

Gents a word of warning about "snorkels"........................ what LR supplies for their products are not snorkels, they are Raised Air Intakes - there is a HUGE difference - notably watertightness! An RAI doesn't have waterproof seals where it penetrates the body panels or at the engine and this is Land Rover's standard issue. To have a waterproof intake to allow extended depth wading you do need a snorkel (and they are easy to get for all the older LR products) and to have some other breathers extended, preferably to the level of the top of the snorkel. I have a Safari snorkel on my Defender............... I still managed to "drown" the wheel hubs and wash out all the grease because I was unaware of two things - a) there are axle breathers and b) LR doesn't use waterproof grease in a car designed to wade! Additionally on my TDi300 version I have had to fit extended breathers to both hubs and wading plugs to the bell housing and gear box breathers. Despite all of this the interior of the car fills up when in deep water, not because the door seals are no good, they are very good!, but because the battery box under the passenger seat has 2 huge vent holes that you can see the road through! So please be careful taking you baby into deeper water, there are hidden vents that may not be full waterproof. Since my very expensive foray into river wading in the early days of ownership, at the cost of two new rear hubs that became water lubricated, I am now very careful about approaching water of any depth even in the Defender and with extended breather pipes. Most of the more modern LR products are much better sealed than my 1996 Defender but they aren't totally watertight, and they have an awful lot more electronic bits than my Defender - I remember TD5 and early TDci Defender owners removing the ECU's from their normal position into a Tupperware box with a very long LAN cable to a mounting on the cabin ceiling if they intended to wade their cars. Also remember there is one large pipe that everybody forgets about, and today has two extremely expensive bits down it to be careful with - the exhaust pipe is not wadable in 500mm once the engine has stopped!

RE: Heavy Rain - preme123 - 02-10-2012 03:52pm

What about having to park in puddles? or deep water. (water just half an inch away from reaching the door?)

Is it dangerous?

RE: Heavy Rain - XFullFatTim - 02-10-2012 04:15pm

No not at all although it is worth checking your exhaust pipe isn't submerged. Modern Land Rover products have excellent door seals, only let the water in if you open the door........

RE: Heavy Rain - speary - 03-10-2012 08:46am

(02-10-2012 04:15pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  No not at all although it is worth checking your exhaust pipe isn't submerged. Modern Land Rover products have excellent door seals, only let the water in if you open the door........

If you got stranded with hthe engine off and the exhaust tips under water, what is the recommended way to get going again ?