babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Fitting an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Modifications (/Forum-Modifications)
+--- Thread: Fitting an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug (/Thread-Fitting-an-in-line-socket-for-cigarette-lighter-plug)

Fitting an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug - TE12BOY - 23-09-2012 08:39pm

Hi, I want to fit an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug hidden under the dash (behind the trim) so that I can use it to permanently fit power leads for my iPhone 4S/ iPhone 5 which will be on a windscreen mount. Can anyone give me any guidance on achieving this? I obviously need a permanent or accessory wired supply. The power use would be low so does not need to be protected by a highly rated fuse.

I would appreciate any kind of information. Although I have carried out this type of thing before that was in the days when one connection was the supply and the other was to the metal body of the car (earth). I'm pretty certain things have moved on so consider me a complete novice on this one!

Regards,
Terrence ​Smile

RE: Fitting an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug - XFullFatTim - 23-09-2012 08:45pm

Terrence, welcome to the forums

Have you thought about the LR accessory mount that gets hard wired into the system that allows owners of the other cars made by LR that don't have the connectivity that Evoque has? You may be able to get one on ebay or from Forum sponsor Duckworth. Part No LR002787 Audio Connectivity Module - not sure if it is connectable to the Meridian system as other LR vehicles have Alpine systems or Harmon Kardon

RE: Fitting an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug - pureevoque - 23-09-2012 09:58pm

I spliced in to the wires going to the lighter socket next to the drinks holders, see powerfuluk's you tube video for removing the centre console and this will give you enough access.

RE: Fitting an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug - Westy - 24-09-2012 01:52am

I also did the same as pur evoque, I took a feed from the cigarette socket, ran it to the spare socket I installed under the drivers side of the dash and took an earth from the rigid olt mount for the dashboard, works a treat and charges my tom tom a treat, pulses with the ignition too.

I found this was the only sensible option, I agree the video will help you remove the trim to get access to the socket

RE: Fitting an in-line socket for cigarette-lighter plug - TE12BOY - 26-09-2012 02:52pm

Hi, thanks for the advice! The video was the key - wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.

Just completed the job!

Thanks to all concerned. Very Happy

Terrence