babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
11,000 miles and loving it! - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: 11,000 miles and loving it! (/Thread-11-000-miles-and-loving-it)

Pages: 1 2

11,000 miles and loving it! - Token - 11-06-2012 07:20am

Evoque ownership has been an emotional rollercoaster for me! It started out with the excitement of getting on the waiting list in April last year...then followed the angst about delays and Stornaway Grey...then followed the excitement of being one of the first to get the car and genuinly believing the car was the best in the world for a couple of months. The I got grumpy because Land Rover mucked up fitting a cargo barrier and to make things worse, I realised I'd bought a car with a boot that was too small for my needs...so I got grumpy with loads of small things that I otherwise wouldn't have cared about.

So...nearly 8 months and 11,000 miles later (at an average of 30mpg always in Sport mode these days) I'm back in love with it! The boot is still too small but I've bought a Defender as a spare car to sort that issue out...the cargo barrier fit is still an issue (3 months on) but having had a Range Rover before I don't expect Stratstone to do any better in reality...and I still miss my FFRR at times. However...this is truly an incredible car...

People on here sometimes get a little hot under the collar if the Evoque is compared to the wrong sort of car...well the cars it should be compared against are the cars we have chosen it above...in my case, one of the contenders when I bought the Evoque was the X5...and on occassions I have wished I'd bought he X5 (especially with the bigger boot). However, a friend of mine has just bought one (a Sport with 20" wheels) and I have to say that in handling terms, the two cars are comparable...however, the ride was so firm in the X5 I nearly broke my back when we went over a speed bump (at a crawl!), it was truly shocking and inside it felt a little cheap compared to the Evoque which surprised me. Even in Dynamic mode, the ride on the Evoque is much better than my friends X5...the fact that the Evoque maintains a good ride whilst offering good handling is what makes it so special...oh, and the fact that I still get people wanting to talk to me about it 50% of the time I fill up at the petrol station.

And all the gadgets that I loved but didn't think I'd need or use...I wouldn't want to be without them now! Electric tailgate, blind spot monitoring, cameras (these get used every day now), park assist, keyless entry...I love them all!

As always from me...a long, probably dull, and I'm sure poorly written way of saying something very simple...I love it! I could sum it up much easier of course...and state that after 8 months I can still see myself owning this car for years to come...whereas I am normally looking to change cars at this point...even the FFRR only lasted a year!

RE: 11,000 miles and loving it! - mark_n - 11-06-2012 08:28am

Blimey, have you been on the red wine again? I remember you once compared cars to the women in you life and got a resounding raspberry from Charlie! Still, you've done a heap of miles, maybe more than anyone here. Good you are enjoying the car.

RE: 11,000 miles and loving it! - Token - 11-06-2012 08:40am

Ha ha...I did indeed do that Mark...Charlie was great, shame she left the forum. It's probably still fair to compare cars to the women in my life...and having had the odd wobble, the Evoque (just like my good lady) is a keeper! Although, I should never rule out a newer model appearing on the scene and catching my eye!! (joke!)

RE: 11,000 miles and loving it! - XFullFatTim - 11-06-2012 10:52am

9 months in and 8500 miles it would be hard to part with my Coupe, for a single person with the occassional passenger
it has proved to be a rewarding car to own and drive. YES I do miss my FFRR's and RRS's but until the L405 arrives later this year Evoque make them seem so old fashioned and Gentlemans' Club fuddy duddy! I especially loved my TDV8 RRS and FFRR and while the RRE is proving to be almost as addicted to diesel as them, the RRE drives so much better that it can be forgiven that vice.

RE: 11,000 miles and loving it! - PhilSkill - 11-06-2012 05:05pm

Great to hear you're still enjoying it Token, Having just taken mine across the centre of London I'm amazed at how easy it was to drive and even be a pit pushy in dense traffic, on some of the very thin 3 lane roads it was a bit hair-raising with a lorry each side! Roads get smaller and car get bigger!

Mind you doing a sensible speed on the motorway does drop your MPG to mid-low thirties!

RE: 11,000 miles and loving it! - FujiSan - 11-06-2012 05:57pm

Nice to hear a longer term report. Mine is due on Friday and it is reassuring to read this.

RE: 11,000 miles and loving it! - Black Cat - 12-06-2012 05:46am

(11-06-2012 08:40am)Token Wrote:  Ha ha...I did indeed do that Mark...Charlie was great, shame she left the forum.

Ahhhhh Token, didn't know you cared Very Happy

RE: 11,000 miles and loving it! - cjfp - 12-06-2012 05:52am

Yep - we all wish Charlie well and hope that she does still drop-in from time to time.

RE: 11,000 miles and loving it! - slee18 - 12-06-2012 07:13pm

im at 7,000 miles and still enjoying the drive everyday to work. And its great to transport parents to dr appointment and such. If only they had grab handles would it make it easier for them to get in and out of. Their only 5' and 5'2". driven over 100 cars before i purchased my Evoque.

Only vehicle that came close to the comfort was the Subaru Outback/Legacy. Bimmers had horrible transmission/throttle changes. I was down to Evoque, Outback, and Audi Q5 were my top cars.

Im still smiling when i drive my Evoque

RE: 11,000 miles and loving it! - ytshome - 12-06-2012 11:31pm

Almost nine months now, all bar a couple of days and the thick end of 8,500 miles on the clock and I still rate it highly. Yes the boot is too small ( we've bought a van for that reason) and a couple of bits could do with better quality items ( the paddle-shifters in particular are cheap and nasty but I suppose are hidden away) but the overall impression is of a quality product, that's enjoyable to drive everyday. With the exception of a dicky rear parcel shelf it's been totally reliable too.

I'm something of a car-swapper. My last three cars, which were all good in their own way have lasted less than a year each ( BMW, Jag and Scirocco R) but I think the Evoque will be gracing the driveway for a while yet. A testament I think to the overall
package. If anyone is having second thoughts out there, take it from me it's worth the wait because it makes you smile.....quite a lot really!