babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? (/Thread-The-origins-of-the-2-2SD-anyone-know-for-sure)

Pages: 1 2

The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - Belvoirbloke - 28-05-2012 10:43pm

I understand from a promotional video on Marshall’s Land Rover website for the Freelander that the 2.2 is a Peugeot original source, tweaked by Ford in later years. Same engine in the Evoque (but a whole lot quieter).
Is that true ? Quite glad if it is, Pug diesels are very good in my experience.

RE: The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - Straydox - 28-05-2012 11:59pm

I believe the 2.2 Diesel is derived from the PSA DW12 (PSA own Peugeot and Citroen) engine and that it was extensively re-engineered by Ford.

RE: The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - DiscoDad - 29-05-2012 06:54am

Probably the same basic engine as in my 2.2 x-type Jag.

RE: The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - Belvoirbloke - 29-05-2012 08:34am

Ta folks

RE: The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - Sarcastrix - 29-05-2012 02:07pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine Smile

RE: The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - Martin - 29-05-2012 04:16pm

It's the PSA-Ford DW12C. X-type was Ford Puma (ZSD).

RE: The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - XFullFatTim - 29-05-2012 07:38pm

It was again re-engineered by LR to allow lubrication on up to 45degree slopes, both up and down slopes and across slope and to allow it to breath properly without hydraulicing the motor when deep water wading. LR re-engineered all it's versions of the PSA engines, to the extent that the 2.7TDv6 engine had a single turbo whereas the Ford and PSa group cars with the similar engine had two turbos. The TDv8 engine used by LR is an extended and modified PSA TDv6. The petrol engines though are Jaguar derived, modified to suit off road use. The Si4 in Evoque is a modified Ford Duratec engine but the original 3.2 straight six that was available in Freelander 2 was a modified Volvo engine.
OK I've taken my anorak off now!

RE: The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - jitenc - 29-05-2012 07:52pm

(29-05-2012 07:38pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It was again re-engineered by LR to allow lubrication on up to 45degree slopes, both up and down slopes and across slope and to allow it to breath properly without hydraulicing the motor when deep water wading. LR re-engineered all it's versions of the PSA engines, to the extent that the 2.7TDv6 engine had a single turbo whereas the Ford and PSa group cars with the similar engine had two turbos. The TDv8 engine used by LR is an extended and modified PSA TDv6. The petrol engines though are Jaguar derived, modified to suit off road use. The Si4 in Evoque is a modified Ford Duratec engine but the original 3.2 straight six that was available in Freelander 2 was a modified Volvo engine.
OK I've taken my anorak off now!

Tim, you should write the LR bible for Beginners!

RE: The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - BFGEvoqueMan - 30-05-2012 07:53pm

A few years back ford and PSA (Peugeot Citroen) got together and decided to co-develop a range of HDI engines to replace the old PSA XUD family of diesel engines (those fitted to every PSA car in the 90's that essentially masde diesel acceptable.

Ford then decided to form its PAG group and so peugeot 4 cylinder engines (1.6, 2.0, 2.2) fitted in various forms of BHP are found in Peugeot, Citroen, Ford, Mazda (even now), LR, Jag, Volvo (even now) and Mitsuibishi (Outlander is sister car to the PSA variants) and I think is made by PSA facilities in France. The V6 variant (2.7 and 3.0) is used by PSA and JLR and Volvo and is made by Ford at Dagenham I think.

Clearly with so many customers for the 4 cylinder engines this is part of the reason JLR are building a dedicated powertain plant in Coventy.

Trust this helps.Idea

RE: The origins of the 2.2SD .. anyone know for sure ? - ED209 - 01-06-2012 10:03am

(30-05-2012 07:53pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  A few years back ford and PSA (Peugeot Citroen) got together and decided to co-develop a range of HDI engines to replace the old PSA XUD family of diesel engines (those fitted to every PSA car in the 90's that essentially masde diesel acceptable.

Ford then decided to form its PAG group and so peugeot 4 cylinder engines (1.6, 2.0, 2.2) fitted in various forms of BHP are found in Peugeot, Citroen, Ford, Mazda (even now), LR, Jag, Volvo (even now) and Mitsuibishi (Outlander is sister car to the PSA variants) and I think is made by PSA facilities in France. The V6 variant (2.7 and 3.0) is used by PSA and JLR and Volvo and is made by Ford at Dagenham I think.

Clearly with so many customers for the 4 cylinder engines this is part of the reason JLR are building a dedicated powertain plant in Coventy.

Trust this helps.Idea

the mitsubishi outlander is an interesting link, iremember reading an article on honset johns website where he praised the great fuel economy of the outlander. So how come JLR have messed it up?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/mitsubishi/outlander-gx4-2011/?