babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: In Car Electronics (/Forum-In-Car-Electronics)
+--- Thread: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket (/Thread-List-of-Memory-sticks-micro-drives-that-will-will-not-work-in-Evoque-s-USB-socket)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - defender_uk - 13-04-2012 08:30pm

Will work:
Evoque branded 4Gb memory stick from Land Rover dealers

err.....won't work!!

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - XFullFatTim - 13-04-2012 08:31pm

OK thanks Defender

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - PhilSkill - 13-04-2012 08:37pm

Hmmm... beginning to think this isn't Stick manufacturer specific, I am running my 4gb Evoque branded stick, so far no problems, but thats not to say it won't play up...

It may be encoding or file size or file format... But I have lockup's on tracks that have previously played successfully!

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - SINGHY - 14-04-2012 10:17am

Cheers philskill,
I'll bear that in mind when I get around to sorting out a USB, at the moment I'm half way through the manual and will be attempting the voice command function today.

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - PhilSkill - 20-04-2012 02:03pm

Today I got a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit as mentioned above, wiped it clean and placed 6 albums all encoded at just 128kb's. Initially worked fine then just stopped through the first track, saying file and folder information not available!, had to remove the device to get it working again. The engine wasn't running and the car was stationary and I was not disturbng the connections in anyway. I've been using Media Monkey to RIP my CD's into mp3, i'm wondering if it's a file format issue, what ripping devices are most people using? Windows Media, iTunes? Be good to get some info on those that people use who are not having problems, and those that don't. I'm guessing maybe people using iTunes are not having problems...? Depends what LR tested it with of course.

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - Radeco - 21-04-2012 12:39pm

These work fine - and do not get knocked out if anything else is stuffed in the armrest.
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/HP/HP-16GB-v165w-USB-Flash-Drive

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - Straydox - 06-05-2012 12:17am

Does anyone know which USB standard the ports are? Is is 1.0 or 2.0?

I'm wondering if LR have used the 1.0 standard which provides less power to the connected device than 2.0 - and most USB sticks these days have a 2.0 power expectation.

Philskill - IIRC you were trying to use an external disk - did you try a double USB cable to get more power to the device and was the disk conventional or a solid state (SSD)?

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - PhilSkill - 06-05-2012 12:26am

Hi, I never tried joining the 2 power outputs, as the disk powered fine from a single port. I havent used the disk recently as been slowly trying to fathom out whats causing my USB to lockup occasionally, started after I put my complete album collection on the HDD and some divx videos. So have gone back to sticks for now, which have also been unreliable... But since putting 1 album on a new stick and moving to the ipod labelled socket all is good again for now. But still investigating...
Disk was a conventional freecom toughdrive 250Gb

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - Straydox - 06-05-2012 01:00am

(06-05-2012 12:26am)PhilSkill Wrote:  Hi, I never tried joining the 2 power outputs, as the disk powered fine from a single port. I havent used the disk recently as been slowly trying to fathom out whats causing my USB to lockup occasionally, started after I put my complete album collection on the HDD and some divx videos. So have gone back to sticks for now, which have also been unreliable... But since putting 1 album on a new stick and moving to the ipod labelled socket all is good again for now. But still investigating...
Disk was a conventional freecom toughdrive 250Gb

Thanks for the speedy response! My RRE should appear in the next week or so now so I'll be able to test for myself.

Conventional mechanical drives like the Freecom (I have one of the rubberised ones myself) can be quite power hungry so I've ordered the least expensive 60GB SSD I could find on Amazon and have a caddy to stick it in - I've also ordered a dual USB to mini USB cable...I'll let you know how it goes.

Another low power device on USB are the SD card-readers, I have one and will try that too.

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket - Evo-king - 06-05-2012 08:22am

(13-04-2012 08:11pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Hi Singhy

On a USB stick you browse the folder structure you create on the stick down to track level. So you can create Genre's, Artists, Albums as folders which is how I do it.

There is one annoying thing, to get folders/albums in alphabetical order you have to run a program over the Disk/Stick to alphabeticize it after any change to the content.

See http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Alphabetical-USB-Disk-Stick?highlight=fatsorter

Thanks for that info.

Currently using an old 30gb ipod, but wanting to convert to usb stick.