babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? (/Thread-off-road-capalities-for-Dynamic-vs-Prestige)

Pages: 1 2

off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - ky1969 - 26-03-2012 07:16pm

Coming out of a Defender off road capabilities is important for us (of course none of these cars will match the Defender) but I am trying to choose between a Dynamic and a Prestige. I had almost decided on the Dynamic but I had a look at the specs which gives the Prestige a better approach angle of 25 degrees than the Dynamic which is 19 degrees. The same applies on the departure angle. I am worried about this because the aproach angle is essential to avoid damaging the front and rear of the vehicle in difficult terrain. Any thoughts from someone will be appreciated

RE: off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - Ianpembs - 26-03-2012 07:54pm

(26-03-2012 07:16pm)ky1969 Wrote:  Coming out of a Defender off road capabilities is important for us (of course none of these cars will match the Defender) but I am trying to choose between a Dynamic and a Prestige. I had almost decided on the Dynamic but I had a look at the specs which gives the Prestige a better approach angle of 25 degrees than the Dynamic which is 19 degrees. The same applies on the departure angle. I am worried about this because the aproach angle is essential to avoid damaging the front and rear of the vehicle in difficult terrain. Any thoughts from someone will be appreciated

Hi I asked a similar question when ordering my Evoque, its on General / which model section. As I had same concerns as yourself wrt approach angle. I did however fancy the idea of the Dynamic Active suspension. I took Dynamic and Prestige for a test drive and did not notice a great deal of difference wrt suspension both great to drive.
Overall not a great deal of difference or price I found the seat on Prestige had extra adjustment which for me tall was slightly more comfortable. One member commented that his Dynamic was susceptible to stone chips as lower front and more painted area. So weighed it up and thought if I m worried about it now it will be a niggle later on, so went the Prestige route as I would be doing a fair bit of driving down tracks etc. Its tough and they both great cars with pluses and minus s. Did like the black grill etc on Dynamic as well. Once you choose model you then have dilemma of colour, roof, wheels trim etc. Enjoy.

Ordered OG Prestige, Style4 wheels Pano roof, vibe interior, spare wheel, heated steering wheel, auto dipping rear mirror.

RE: off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - IKM - 26-03-2012 08:37pm

(26-03-2012 07:16pm)ky1969 Wrote:  Coming out of a Defender off road capabilities is important for us (of course none of these cars will match the Defender) but I am trying to choose between a Dynamic and a Prestige. I had almost decided on the Dynamic but I had a look at the specs which gives the Prestige a better approach angle of 25 degrees than the Dynamic which is 19 degrees. The same applies on the departure angle. I am worried about this because the aproach angle is essential to avoid damaging the front and rear of the vehicle in difficult terrain. Any thoughts from someone will be appreciated
I actually prefer the look of the Dynamic, but chose the Prestige due to the approach angle you mention above. Unfortunately you couldn't spec the Pure with adaptive dynamics or I might have chosen that on cost.

RE: off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - Donny Dog - 26-03-2012 11:17pm

I off-roaded with a Prestige on an Experience day, and have to say that I was impressed both with its approach angle and its ground clearance. Without the instructor's say-so, I wouldn't have risked some of the hill exits and rutted tracks on the basis of appearance. (Departure angle should be less of a problem as the wheels are so near the back compared with the front).

RE: off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - Ianpembs - 27-03-2012 12:24am

Sounds reassuring Donny Id like to do the experience day, did the different terrain response settings make much difference on the various settings,

RE: off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - Graham - 27-03-2012 07:49am

I ordered a prestige rather than a dynamic for the same approach/departure angle reason, good news is that here in France I could also specify adaptive dynamic suspension.

RE: off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - Cedric - 27-03-2012 08:39am

(27-03-2012 07:49am)Graham Wrote:  I ordered a prestige rather than a dynamic for the same approach/departure angle reason, good news is that here in France I could also specify adaptive dynamic suspension.

The adaptive dynamics depends on the engine. You can only get it with the SD4/Si4, not on my TD4 unfortunately.

RE: off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - Donny Dog - 27-03-2012 09:14am

(27-03-2012 12:24am)Ianpembs Wrote:  Sounds reassuring Donny Id like to do the experience day, did the different terrain response settings make much difference on the various settings,

Yes and no! The car was so capable that it got round some very tough spots with virtually any setting, even when the instructor was telling me to try the 'wrong' one to show the supposed difference! The only problem with the day (and, bear in mind I drove it around the course for more than two hours solid) was that the car made it too easy - there was no real driver input or skill required. When I was virtually bottoming I had to open the door to see how close the ground was, and, when I was on two or three wheels, again you couldn't tell without stopping to look (which the instructor got me to do). It only got stuck twice, once on a steep slippery grass hill, and once on a very steep loose rutted gravel surface, and, on both occasions, I got up the hill by resorting to good old-fashioned 'gunning it'. (Normally, I didn't need to rely on momentum, the Evoque could do it any speed). The hill descent control is excellent, by the way.

As a caveat to all this, I have to say, despite having had 4x4s for many years, I've never actually been seriously off-road, so have no basis of comparison as to how other cars would perform.

RE: off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - ky1969 - 27-03-2012 02:53pm

(26-03-2012 08:37pm)IKM Wrote:  I actually prefer the look of the Dynamic, but chose the Prestige due to the approach angle you mention above. Unfortunately you couldn't spec the Pure with adaptive dynamics or I might have chosen that on cost.

precisely my thinking and dilema. i like the looks of the Prestige but my "off road " heart tells me to go for the Prestige

RE: off road capalities for Dynamic vs. Prestige? - rchrdleigh - 27-03-2012 05:43pm

(27-03-2012 02:53pm)ky1969 Wrote:  precisely my thinking and dilema. i like the looks of the Prestige but my "off road " heart tells me to go for the Prestige

Dynamic has a lower ground clearance than the Prestige hence the reduced approach and departure angle. If you're planning on offroading then I would opt for a Prestige.