babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Smell of burning rubber - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Smell of burning rubber (/Thread-Smell-of-burning-rubber)

Pages: 1 2 3

Smell of burning rubber - tyke2 - 15-03-2012 02:43pm

I noticed a smell of burning rubber yesterday when parking up for the night. just been driving in normal 30mph traffic, nothing untoward happening. But forgot about it.
My wife has the car this morning and can smell the same coming from the ooutside of the car somewhere.

Anyone else had this?

Ill dop into the dealer if its still there this evening.

Thanks

RE: Smell of burning rubber - RacingSnake - 15-03-2012 02:49pm

driven through any puddles?

Reason I say that is that certainly on my other car it is well documented that water off the road hitting the exhaust gives off a rubber type smell.

RE: Smell of burning rubber - tyke2 - 15-03-2012 02:51pm

No, completely dry. The smell was very strong too.

RE: Smell of burning rubber - CSJ - 15-03-2012 03:04pm

Is it the DPF cleaning out, this gets very hot and can smell?

RE: Smell of burning rubber - tyke2 - 15-03-2012 03:07pm

(15-03-2012 03:04pm)CSJ Wrote:  Is it the DPF cleaning out, this gets very hot and can smell?

Could be i suppose - though i have never noticed this on my BMW.

RE: Smell of burning rubber - XFullFatTim - 15-03-2012 03:08pm

Best get it checked out on a ramp. The exhaust is hung on large rubber grommets, it is possible one of them has come adrift. Have you been doing any off road driving?

RE: Smell of burning rubber - tyke2 - 15-03-2012 03:28pm

(15-03-2012 03:08pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Best get it checked out on a ramp. The exhaust is hung on large rubber grommets, it is possible one of them has come adrift. Have you been doing any off road driving?

No just very sedate road driving.
Ill have a crawl underneath tonight and see if anything is obvious.

Itll not be a suprise if something is hanging off - as was the drivers door stay last week that I had to screw back on!

RE: Smell of burning rubber - CSJ - 11-04-2012 09:05am

Did you get an answer from the dealer on this?

RE: Smell of burning rubber - ED209 - 11-04-2012 09:11am

I had this once in my mini, a stray carrier bag had melted to the exhaust!

RE: Smell of burning rubber - PhilSkill - 11-04-2012 09:24pm

Hmmm... I had this smell tonight, also noticed the mpg was dropping 0.1 a mile when normally I would expect it to be rising at that rate given the speed etc, I reckon the brakes were dragging, the discs felt hot given very little brake usage, not burning like a stuck caliper, but like all 4 had been dragging slightly, also crawling along at a consistent 40miles per hour.