babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender? (/Thread-Vogue-Disco-Freelander-or-Defender)

Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender? - Token - 17-02-2012 03:06pm

I am currently on a campaign to buy british wherever possible to support our flagging economy...I don't see how we can moan about the government or the banks when most of us are taking the newly printed cash they keep printing and sending it overseas as soon as we get it! So...my good lady has a Pug 107 but as we are about to get a new dog, she needs something bigger. It has to be british and as I am loving my Evoque, and I loved the Vogue I had previously, I can't think of anything better than a Landie.

She only does about 5 miles per day and we just want something that can deal with driving accross fields (not proper off-roading) and generally being abused...whilst also being able to do a 200 mile round trip to the coast if required.

Only have about £10k to spend...not too concerned about running costs due to limited mileage that she does, but road tax etc I guess is a consideration.

What would you Landie experts go for and why?

RE: Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender? - Cedric - 17-02-2012 06:09pm

I saw this on tv the other day and was amazed how cheap these things go, probably has to do with taxes.

RE: Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender? - XFullFatTim - 17-02-2012 06:47pm

£10k wil get you a nice Disco2 TD5 and a set of Mud Tyres or if you can find one a V8 Disco2. Disco 3 and RRS are not yet that low in price. It would also get you a nice TD5 or TDi300 Defender but you will have to be very careful as so many have been neglected or heavily off-roaded. Disoc 1's can suffer horrendously from corrosion but you might fine a good one for a lot less than the same age Defender

RE: Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender? - forest172 - 18-02-2012 08:45am

Surely you're supporting our British economy whichever brand of car you buy 2nd hand.

RE: Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender? - dandavis1 - 18-02-2012 09:15am

You realise JLR is now Indian, don't you? A huge number of vehicles are manufactured in the UK. How about a ford focus, a Mini or a Transit van?

Buying a second hand land rover won't fulfill your rather blinkered view on 'buying British'.

RE: Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender? - vinny - 18-02-2012 09:38am

Hope your new dog is a british breed as well?Very Happy

RE: Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender? - peet - 18-02-2012 10:27am

Make it 15 and you can have my Disco 3. It will be on the market as soon as I am certain of my delivery date. (It's planned for late March).

RE: Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender? - Token - 18-02-2012 04:33pm

(17-02-2012 06:47pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  £10k wil get you a nice Disco2 TD5 and a set of Mud Tyres or if you can find one a V8 Disco2. Disco 3 and RRS are not yet that low in price. It would also get you a nice TD5 or TDi300 Defender but you will have to be very careful as so many have been neglected or heavily off-roaded. Disoc 1's can suffer horrendously from corrosion but you might fine a good one for a lot less than the same age Defender

Thanks Tim
(18-02-2012 08:45am)forest172 Wrote:  Surely you're supporting our British economy whichever brand of car you buy 2nd hand.

Not really...maybe in terms of the initial purchase...but parts and service will be british.
(18-02-2012 09:15am)dandavis1 Wrote:  You realise JLR is now Indian, don't you? A huge number of vehicles are manufactured in the UK. How about a ford focus, a Mini or a Transit van?

Buying a second hand land rover won't fulfill your rather blinkered view on 'buying British'.

I do indeed realise that TATA are Indian...but pretty sure that doesn't make a difference to all the people who are being paid in Halewood.

Agree re Focus, Mini and Transit Van...but as I think I made clear with my post, first criteria was 'supporting Britain'...and then make (from the options remaining) has been decided by my experience of my Vogue and now the Evoque.

So exactly which part of my view is blinkered???
(18-02-2012 09:38am)vinny Wrote:  Hope your new dog is a british breed as well?Very Happy

Good question...I may be wrong but I think the Lab is Canadian??? Does that count??

Either way, it is supporting a british breeder Smile
(18-02-2012 10:27am)peet Wrote:  Make it 15 and you can have my Disco 3. It will be on the market as soon as I am certain of my delivery date. (It's planned for late March).

Mates rates?