babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? (/Thread-Sport-Mode-returns-better-MPG)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - Donny Dog - 30-04-2012 10:23pm

(30-04-2012 09:39pm)smayo Wrote:  A bit of radical thinking, but could D be changing gear too early because thats actually the perfect point to change gear in the lab test for fuel economy when no real world effects are taken into account? Whereas in the real world with outside influences like wind and hills etc you need a bit more grunt before changing up?

Mine certainly chages to 6th. too early in some circumstances, then labours such that I have to manually change it back. At the end of the day, I just don't think the gearbox suits the engine - it needs more gears so a more suitable range of ratios can be available.

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - XFullFatTim - 30-04-2012 10:28pm

I was under the impression that the Evoque auto is an adaptive box but mine must be a dunce as it never seems to have learned anything I have tried to teach it about waiting just a little longer before shifting up a cog.

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - ant - 01-05-2012 09:51am

I've been in S for the last tankfull, driving in the same way I normally do, and I've improved from 27.0 mpg, to 28.4 mpg.
Strangely, mine does change up to 6th in S mode.
Problems I have is that I've got so used to moving the selector one notch into neutral at lights etc, that now, when I do that, I'm still in D.
Ant

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - Wired - 01-05-2012 11:51am

(01-05-2012 09:51am)ant Wrote:  Problems I have is that I've got so used to moving the selector one notch into neutral at lights etc, that now, when I do that, I'm still in D.
Ant

I just put the handbrake on. Its auto release so you can just drie of when the light changes.

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - ant - 01-05-2012 07:54pm

(01-05-2012 11:51am)Wired Wrote:  I just put the handbrake on. Its auto release so you can just drie of when the light changes.

I do that as well, but for years I've always put my auto into neutral at lights etc. It's just a habit and stems from a perception that it puts less strain/wear on the torque converter. Admittedly, technology has moved on over the last 30 years, and I probably don't save anything, but it is a habit I've got into that's difficult to get out of!!!
From S mode I've got to move two notches when I'd got used to moving the selector one. I'll get used to it, (especially for 1.4mpg gain).
ANT

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - masmullin - 01-05-2012 08:14pm

Are all you guys who get better MPG in S mode driving diesels?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the engine warming up faster because you have higher RPMs.

I wonder if you would save even more if you flipped back into D after you've done 4km or so.

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - smayo - 01-05-2012 09:17pm

(01-05-2012 07:54pm)ant Wrote:  I'll get used to it, (especially for 1.4mpg gain).

Sounds even better when you put it into percentage terms as that is about a 5% improvement.

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - Donny Dog - 01-05-2012 11:18pm

Prompted by this thread, I've tried 'S' for the first time (after two months!). Whether it's more economical I don't know, but it's certainly better!

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - ant - 02-05-2012 06:26pm

(01-05-2012 08:14pm)masmullin Wrote:  Are all you guys who get better MPG in S mode driving diesels?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the engine warming up faster because you have higher RPMs.

I wonder if you would save even more if you flipped back into D after you've done 4km or so.

Yes, I'm diesel.
ANT

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - LDT - 02-05-2012 07:34pm

I'm diesel also.