babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? (/Thread-Sport-Mode-returns-better-MPG)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - Wired - 17-04-2012 09:07pm

So have we all been wrong then?
Does the S stand for slow?

If thats the case R might just mean Race! Shocked

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - pugracer - 22-04-2012 03:35pm

(17-04-2012 09:07pm)Wired Wrote:  So have we all been wrong then?
Does the S stand for slow?

If thats the case R might just mean Race! Shocked

LaughingLaughingLaughing

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - RREVO - 22-04-2012 04:52pm

I too can confirm that in sport mode over the same route (mostly around town) the mpg is slightly better...weird

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - cjfp - 22-04-2012 04:55pm

Olde / philskill - should this be a question on your list to LR to provide some rational answer to this, what would seem, strange scenario?

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - ytshome - 22-04-2012 10:48pm

I'm slightly better too in sport. This is the first time I've managed 30 in town driving since getting the car.

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - olde - 24-04-2012 03:19am

(22-04-2012 04:55pm)cjfp Wrote:  Olde / philskill - should this be a question on your list to LR to provide some rational answer to this, what would seem, strange scenario?

Ahah, you must be psychic, CJ. I was just thinking the exact same thing.

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - pugracer - 30-04-2012 04:34pm

I have tried keeping in S mode for the last 2 days in my Si4. It's additive. That's the way the car should be responding. I've just fuel up the car. I'm planning to run in S mode for this tank and see if there are any difference in mileage.

The only thing I don't like is that it didn't go to 6th gear even when I was cruising steadily at 110km/h.

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - XFullFatTim - 30-04-2012 05:13pm

Pug, surely if you are cruising then you won't be looking to use S anyway so could drop back to D to allow 6th to be engaged, if you need more go then you can drop a cog by using the paddles.

Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - 3V0QU3 - 30-04-2012 06:28pm

Being in the wrong gear, too high or low, will be less economical, so Drive changing too early may be having a negative impact, worse than Sport changing too late.

I tend to stay in Drive but use the paddles to kick down to get a quicker response for overtakes and also use the paddles to changed up when i reach cruising speed. Since doing this a have achieved a noticeable improvement in mpg. I have noticed that it sometimes changes into 6th very late in drive if you leave it completely automatic.

RE: Sport Mode returns better MPG?? - smayo - 30-04-2012 09:39pm

A bit of radical thinking, but could D be changing gear too early because thats actually the perfect point to change gear in the lab test for fuel economy when no real world effects are taken into account? Whereas in the real world with outside influences like wind and hills etc you need a bit more grunt before changing up?