babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Impending fuel strikes - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Impending fuel strikes (/Thread-Impending-fuel-strikes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Impending fuel strikes - PhilSkill - 28-03-2012 11:40am

From the Fire-Brigade http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/Petroleum.asp

Domestic storage
Petrol is a highly flammable, explosive and toxic substance. There are laws you must obey and rules you need to follow if you are storing it.

It's against the law to store more than 20 litres of petrol in two 10 litre metal containers, or 10 litres in two 5 litre plastic containers. All containers must be designed for the purpose and they must be marked petroleum and highly flammable.

Apart from what's in the fuel tank, you can only transport petrol in securely closed containers designed for the purpose and marked petroleum and highly flammable. Make sure they are secured in the boot when being transported.

Filling your tank from a container should only be carried out in the open air.

Store any containers in a garage or shed away from any other buildings. Don't keep it in the house. Make sure the area is well ventilated and away from any naked flame or live electrical equipment.

Check containers regularly for leaks. If you smell petrol fumes, ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion.

RE: Impending fuel strikes - J77 - 28-03-2012 03:14pm

The bus company I work for gets about 32,000ltrs a week, we need around 4,000ltrs a day (just for the depot I am based at) and they also need a few hundred litres of adblue for the euro 5 engined buses. The last time there was a fuel strike we had to take our bus to another depot which had surplus fuel and hoped that we would get the rest of the week doing nothing, but at the last minute they managed to get a delivery. So I am not to concerned, will just park the evoque up and use the bus. Sad

RE: Impending fuel strikes - PhilSkill - 28-03-2012 05:09pm

So headline is the PM has advised us to top up incase of strikes, that'll not cause mayhem at the pumps and shortages before it's even begun!

RE: Impending fuel strikes - XFullFatTim - 28-03-2012 05:12pm

I heard Francis Maud making a right ijot of himself about storing fuel in jerry cans on the lunchtime news today, and it was repeated again on the PM programme.

RE: Impending fuel strikes - Claud - 28-03-2012 07:26pm

Government are in retreat after Cameron suggested topping up if possible! If they really wanted to generate a fuel crisis out of hot air, they have succeeded.

With a limited number of tanker drivers, the fuel stations will have trouble in keeping up with demand as they rely upon just in time deliveries.

I am glad I chopped in the Fullfat at 22mpg it was quite limited on range............

RE: Impending fuel strikes - THEMACS - 28-03-2012 08:09pm

Just been to my local Tesco to pick up a few things and the locals are queuing off the Retail Park down the dual carriageway to fuel up!! What a cock Up!!

RE: Impending fuel strikes - PhilSkill - 28-03-2012 08:49pm

Yep queued off of the garage forecourt all evening here, Girl on the desk said Luckily they've had 2 deliveries today but hadn't any idea how much they had left as hadn't had time to look.

RE: Impending fuel strikes - Evo-king - 28-03-2012 08:57pm

Bloomin heck, I've got a 300 mile round trip to Halewood tomorrow in a car with no diesel as I part company with it at the weekend.

Time to start panicking.

RE: Impending fuel strikes - pureevoque - 28-03-2012 09:00pm

It's not all bad, I drove straight up to an empty pump this evening and filled up

RE: Impending fuel strikes - Evo-king - 28-03-2012 09:20pm

Just been to my local garage only 2 pumps left with diesel out of 10!