babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel (/Thread-Next-a-Evoque-Petrol-or-Diesel)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - mark_n - 01-05-2014 04:58pm

(01-05-2014 03:43pm)Evogirl Wrote:  Cheers Mark...looking forward to a more spirited drive than my SD4 tractor

Takes time to completely run in though so give it a few thousand miles, you'll also find it gives a very relaxed cruise on the motorway. For best performance you need to run the gearbox in S mode which means it holds on to gears when accelerating and feels generally more lively.

Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - MY13 Prestige - 01-05-2014 05:46pm

I hate the diesel engine noise - I love my car when it's switched off. A bit like my partner. Lovely when asleep.

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - XFullFatTim - 01-05-2014 07:41pm

Land Rover must have changed an awful lot of soundening material in the latest cars because several people have expressed surprise that I have bought a petrol engined Evoque - it is noticebly quieter inside and out than my last one. I haven't yet had a frosty morning to start up on although we got down to +2C here last night and it was as quiet as normal.

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - Evogirl - 01-05-2014 08:13pm

Advice taken on board....gently does it initially.

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - mark_n - 02-05-2014 06:03am

Yes, of course, gently does it initially but the point I was trying to make was that the engine gets better as it accumulates a few miles, all to do with the parts bedding in and loosening up. I did a 200 mile drive last night, motorway and spirited cross country and the car was great.

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - DfunkyT - 02-05-2014 11:16am

A week with my petrol and I've not found it lacking in any way. A long time ago I had a Mazda CX-7, which is more or less the same weight and dimensions and (rumour has it that it's the same Mazda/Ford collaboration engine in the Evoque, or a descendant of), but anyway, the 2 liter turbo packed a punch on that one as well. Interestingly, both sound(ed) diesel-esque on start up. However, the 9 speed mated to the Evoque brings on the power whenever it's needed. Off to the mountains again tomorrow!

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - buckiebabyrr - 09-06-2014 03:52pm

S mode in the Si4 is really good love my petrol cars never owned or thought about buying a diesel.

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - XFullFatTim - 09-06-2014 04:07pm

If I can ever afford to buy my 3rd Evoque it will be a petrol one, for no other reason than that in 2016 EU is imposing very high additional taxes on diesels because of the particulate emissions that still get out even with a DPF. For the annual mileage I do it makes no difference whether I go Diesel or Petrol, however I will object to having to visit forecourts twice as often as I do in the SD4

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - J77 - 09-06-2014 07:05pm

I'm facing the same problem. At the moment I'm running around in a big old 3.0ltr diesel D4, I don't do a massive amount of miles so I don't get the best from diesel. Got a Disco Sport on order but the dealers unsure if it will be available from launch with a petrol engine and if petrol will be available on all specs.

At the moment it's looking like a diesel again for me until my dealer gets more info on the car.

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel - mark_n - 10-06-2014 06:51am

First, Tim is wrong when he suggests you need to fill up a petrol Evoque twice as often as a diesel. I've done 24000 miles in mine and I consistently get 28mpg and that is with me driving it hard. I doubt any Evoque gets an average 56mpg and, besides, the fuel tank is bigger.

Second, I wouldn't bank on more petrol Land Rovers. There are currently but two - one particular Evoque variant, one RRS/FFRR, both of them in top spec. I don't expect either the Freelander or next gen Discos to have then.

Third, the diesel Evoque is a sluggish old thing. Sure, you can wind it up on the motorway but take off and overtaking ability are poor. The Si4 is a much better performer but you have to use it in S mode and be prepared to rev the engine to achieve the maximum power which comes at higher revs than the diesel.

Petrol all the way for me.