babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Modifications (/Forum-Modifications)
+--- Thread: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS (/Thread-RED-ALUMINUM-PADDLE-SHIFTERS)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - WB - 20-06-2013 10:30am

Anyone have the part number for the leather topper? Do you think it would fit as a replacement top for the standard selector?
Thanks

RE: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - Shenley - 20-06-2013 10:45am

WB
The part No. is YPLSS0143PVJ and cost £18.59 ( I am sure it can sourced cheaper ).
Not too sure it is compatable with the standard selector as it is thicker.
Same method of fixing - two way tape.
If just replacing the plastic cap with the leather one - be careful getting the old one off.
It is just two way tape, but doesn't want to budge.
Instructions show it being whacked off with a hammer!

[attachment=3556]

RE: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - WB - 20-06-2013 10:49am

(20-06-2013 10:45am)Shenley Wrote:  WB
The part No. is YPLSS0143PVJ and cost £18.59 ( I am sure it can sourced cheaper ).
Not too sure it is compatable with the standard selector as it is thicker.
Same method of fixing - two way tape.
If just replacing the plastic cap with the leather one - be careful getting the old one off.
It is just two way tape, but doesn't want to budge.
Instructions show it being wracked off with a hammer!

Thanks!

RE: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - slee18 - 05-08-2013 05:33pm

Can the old top be reused for the new shifter?

RE: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - berlin2011 - 05-08-2013 07:18pm

In my experience from removing mine, no. It's stuck on pretty tightly and does require quite a lot of 'persuasion' to pry it loose - can't imagine how you'd get it off without visible damage.

RE: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - dynamicgirl - 06-08-2013 06:47pm

(05-08-2013 05:33pm)slee18 Wrote:  Can the old top be reused for the new shifter?

I've seen these for sale on Land Rover accessory sites and they all seem to say that it requires the leather top, so it doesn't look like it's possible to reuse the old one with the new drive select shifter. It may be that it's just too difficult to remove the old one without damaging it, as Berlin says, his took a lot of persuasion to get it off.

Enhance the appearance of your vehicle's Interior with this stylish Rotary Shifter. Drive Select Rotary Shifter Upgrade and Leather Drive Select Top Cover sold separately.

Drive/gear select rotary shifter bezel for Diesel EU5 compliant 12MY vehicles. Requires Leather Drive Select Top Cover VPLSS0143PVJ.

RE: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - slee18 - 08-08-2013 08:45pm

Darn i liked that look too, oh well have to get leather top then. I will have a fun filled weekend.

RE: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - Mark^^ - 10-08-2013 05:43am

Thanks for your helps with this guys I got my replacement in today and looks good. I decided to not go down the brutal hammer rout, but burnt a hole in the old one with a soldering iron and used a spike to lift it up. Minimal damage to everything this way.

together: old and new

[Image: DSC03169_zps25146f44.jpg]

and the new

[Image: DSC03170_zps43be6478.jpg]

[Image: DSC03172_zpsdeb48f09.jpg]

RE: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - Trapdoor - 11-08-2013 12:18pm

I don't know why, but I actually prefer the original shift knob - I like the knurled/machined look to it and the shiny topper seems to fit in better with the surround.

Just my opinion and each to their own, customising-wise....

I am thinking of upgrading my flappy paddles though (not to red, just the silver ones) as the plastic ones are seriously naff.

RE: RED ALUMINUM PADDLE SHIFTERS - XFullFatTim - 11-08-2013 05:55pm

Trapdoor +1 on that, but each their own.

For those trying to remove the original cap try heating it with a hair dryer first to soften the industrial sticky pad, once you have levered it up a bit slide some nylon fishing line under the cap and "cut" the pad off like a cheese wire, applying some more heat from the hair dryer if the sticky pad starts to harden