babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
car over filled with oil - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: car over filled with oil (/Thread-car-over-filled-with-oil)

Pages: 1 2

car over filled with oil - Stadt Panzer - 23-03-2013 10:52pm

That's on the upper limit for me. The perfect level is just below the upper notch.

RE: car over filled with oil - Bowl - 23-03-2013 11:37pm

(23-03-2013 10:52pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  That's on the upper limit for me. The perfect level is just below the upper notch.

Thanks. I just sucked out another 200 ml (that makes 1.2 liters that I had to suck out).
Now it is perfect, just below the notch.

I hope running for the past 800 km (500 miles) with 1.2 liters overfilled oil didn't hurt the engine or the DPF.
**fingers crossed**

RE: car over filled with oil - scrannel - 24-03-2013 02:47am

Measured at running temp, right?

car over filled with oil - Stadt Panzer - 24-03-2013 05:38pm

Bowl, don't want to scare you but.... a mate of mine is the service manager at my LR dealership and one of his young lads over filled an RRS with oil, drove it and bang.....engine was destroyed. Insurance company paid the bill but even so...... lad still kept his job but the lad who was watching him lost his...

RE: car over filled with oil - Bowl - 24-03-2013 05:50pm

(24-03-2013 05:38pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  Bowl, don't want to scare you but.... a mate of mine is the service manager at my LR dealership and one of his young lads over filled an RRS with oil, drove it and bang.....engine was destroyed. Insurance company paid the bill but even so...... lad still kept his job but the lad who was watching him lost his...

Mine isn't destroyed right away and it didn't show any sign of glitches, does this mean I'm safe now that the level is normal?

RE: car over filled with oil - Kojak - 24-03-2013 06:50pm

(24-03-2013 05:50pm)Bowl Wrote:  Mine isn't destroyed right away and it didn't show any sign of glitches, does this mean I'm safe now that the level is normal?

I would say there is a very good chance your ordeal is over.
All the extra pressures of over filling have now been removed and nothing gave up!
I'm no expert and this is only my opinion.
But what I can tell you is that once over a system is over pressurised enough to break a weak spot, the results are typically seen instantly because the pressure is still as intense until it rips the thing apart and gets released.
So if the pressure from over filling started to do damage, it would have been relentless because the damaged part (now weaker) will not stand the same pressure as when it was a good part yet the pressure would have been the same.

And most things are tested to pressures above their design pressure.
I work in the oil industry and I know that pipework is typically tested to 1.5 times the design pressure and in operation the design pressure is rarely installed to be used on the limit of its design.

I think you are OK.

For info
The manual states the OIL SHOULD BE COLD.
This to me simply suggests better accuracy.
It then goes on to suggest that if you need to do it while the engine is hot that you should leave it to stand and try to park level.
Thinking about it, if you are lowish on oil, parked on a slope and didn't let the oil travel back down then you are more likely to over fill if you take the dip stick level at face value.

RE: car over filled with oil - XFullFatTim - 24-03-2013 07:18pm

If it really worries you then grab the wife's turkey baster, find some small bore fish-tank piping and join the two together, push the pipe down the dipstick tube and suck out the excess.................... make sure you clean the turkey baster thoroughly before sneaking it back into the kitchen.

RE: car over filled with oil - Evo-king - 24-03-2013 07:42pm

Do they not use flushing fluid anymore?

RE: car over filled with oil - XFullFatTim - 24-03-2013 08:11pm

Service time is so short I suspect there isn't even time to properly drain the old oil from the sump, long gone are the days when the car was left overnight with the sump-plug out dripping the old oil into a drip tray.