babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Evoque vs. BMW X3 - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Evoque vs. BMW X3 (/Thread-Evoque-vs-BMW-X3)

Pages: 1 2 3

Evoque vs. BMW X3 - Evoquer - 30-03-2012 08:07am

Only thing I hate about X3 is the back design. It looks so flimsy and unfinished to my eyes. I would feel insecure if another car is behind me.

RE: Evoque vs. BMW X3 - sethor - 30-03-2012 08:19am

I think it looks great, The X3 looks like a scaled down version of the beautiful X5 but BMW botched the front.

RE: Evoque vs. BMW X3 - RacingSnake - 30-03-2012 08:43am

(29-03-2012 10:11pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Where's the switch that gives switchable 4WD? My understanding of "switchable" 4WD is that you run in 2WD most of the time and then select 4WD when you want it? I think what they are talking about is the Terrain Response selector.........
Indeed, it's mentioned twice and was my first observation too.. "switchable AWD mode"? Whats that about?

RE: Evoque vs. BMW X3 - sethor - 30-03-2012 08:48am

(30-03-2012 08:00am)chiggy Wrote:  And it still seems like you're trying to convince yourself that choosing the X3 was a better option... even after you've bought it and in your heart you still feel like the evoque is definitely the more exciting car...

Quite a few people like Horsey on BMW & Audi forums talking down the Evoque to help them justify their X3/Q5 purchase. Reality is all three do seem to have minor issues.

RE: Evoque vs. BMW X3 - Coolbanana - 30-03-2012 08:48am

The X3 is a very capable car with the best engines available in my opinion. I'm a BMW fan having owned 6 of them in the last 10 years. However, the X3 while technically excellent, is bland to look at and while fast and efficient, it is missing a vital ingredient; as Evoquess has already pointed out - the Evoque has 'soul' and character. Sadly, as good as it is, the X3 has neither.

For folks who view a car as being a tool to get from A to B as briskly and efficiently as possible, I would recommend that the X3 is a good choice.

For folks who enjoy car's, have a passion for motoring and appreciate the difference between car's with character and car's without, the Evoque is the clear winner in its class.

I would also venture to add: when comparisons are made in this class, I am often left wondering why the 4x4 ability of the respective vehicles is not alway's taken into account. Yes, the X3 in this case with the sublime 35D engine is going to be the fastest performer on the tarmac but the RRE is going to leave the mighty X3 35D in its wake off-road...and isn't part of the point of choosing a Land Rover product due to wanting a vehicle with superior 4x4 abilities?

RE: Evoque vs. BMW X3 - RacingSnake - 30-03-2012 08:52am

(29-03-2012 10:00pm)Horsey Wrote:  Funny you say that, I was really set on an Evoque until I tried the X3!
Intesting, and everyone has their own priorities, but reading your blog, it does sound like from the outset your decision was made, the blog is probably more of a (biased) tool to convince your wife she is wrong.

Comparing the 313bhp x35d to the 190bhp sd4 is like comparing apples and pears, then going on to say the evoque is 37% slower to 60?, really? No credability in your comparisons for me.

Oh, and welcome to babyrr Very Happy

RE: Evoque vs. BMW X3 - doug - 30-03-2012 08:56am

Could this guy be working for BMW UK.
Why on earth would you post a blog about the X3 on a Evoque site! Which he feels the X3 is the better car.
Thats just leaving himself open.

RE: Evoque vs. BMW X3 - XFullFatTim - 30-03-2012 09:14am

I only read the first couple of bits about iPod/iPhone connecting.................. Yawn ,so I read no further. It appears you have to buy two additional options in an X3 to connect your iPod/iPhone into the audio to play your tunes or did I read this wrongly? At least with an Evoque in any model you can switch on the B/T and select your player in the screen and play your own music on the fantastic Meridian system without paying extra

RE: Evoque vs. BMW X3 - oop north - 30-03-2012 10:11am

Horsey should know better than to post on here if he's expecting a warm welcome for his views. The personal attacks on his taste, though, are a bit pathetic in my view. Just plain rude - and everyone's comments just reflect everyone's bias towards the Evoque. Not surprising as this is the Evoque forum - but I think he is absolutely right to highlight a whinging / paranoid undercurrent on here. I share the view, in a sense, having had a nightmare of a D3 experience, which in five months had more problems than all the other cars I have ever had over the last 25 years put together. I won't be buying an Evoque until I can believe it will be reliable, and my heart's not there yet

RE: Evoque vs. BMW X3 - Barneyridge - 30-03-2012 10:22am

(30-03-2012 08:19am)sethor Wrote:  I think it looks great, The X3 looks like a scaled down version of the beautiful X5 but BMW botched the front.

I think it was almost there, just needed a bit more width to make it a true baby X5. As is, it looks a bit soft when driving next to one in the traffic.