babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
car over filled with oil - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: car over filled with oil (/Thread-car-over-filled-with-oil)

Pages: 1 2

car over filled with oil - chris taylor - 20-03-2013 08:41pm

Hi had my car serviced i,checked the oil the other day and it is about 5mm over max on the dipstick will this damage the engine.

car over filled with oil - Stadt Panzer - 20-03-2013 08:52pm

Yes, having too much in the engine is just as bad as not having any. I would not drive the car and get your garage to come and pick it up and sort out the problem. If you drive your car there is a very realistic chance that you will damage the engine.

RE: car over filled with oil - chris taylor - 20-03-2013 09:30pm

(20-03-2013 08:52pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  Yes, having too much in the engine is just as bad as not having any. I would not drive the car and get your garage to come and pick it up and sort out the problem. If you drive your car there is a very realistic chance that you will damage the engine.

Thanks will speak to the dealer tomorrow

RE: car over filled with oil - doug - 20-03-2013 11:59pm

Just asking, but was your car on level ground when you checked it

RE: car over filled with oil - Claud - 21-03-2013 12:11am

I have had this issue a few times, self imposed mostly. Dealers can pull the oil out in seconds using the oil extraction pumps they use for servicing and will happily oblige.

5mm is just on the edge of where I would go back. Keep in mind manufactures will have tolerances outside the dipstick level where no harm will be done. I have driven a thousand miles with 5mm too much in a Merc whilst on vacation in France. Ten tears later my mother is still enjoying a very that very reliable car and the dealer sorted it out immediately on my return whilst I waited.

RE: car over filled with oil - chris taylor - 21-03-2013 07:32am

(21-03-2013 12:11am)Claud Wrote:  I have had this issue a few times, self imposed mostly. Dealers can pull the oil out in seconds using the oil extraction pumps they use for servicing and will happily oblige.

5mm is just on the edge of where I would go back. Keep in mind manufactures will have tolerances outside the dipstick level where no harm will be done. I have driven a thousand miles with 5mm too much in a Merc whilst on vacation in France. Ten tears later my mother is still enjoying a very that very reliable car and the dealer sorted it out immediately on my return whilst I waited.

Thanks thats good to know
(20-03-2013 11:59pm)doug Wrote:  Just asking, but was your car on level ground when you checked it

Yes the car was stood for a few days in the garage.

RE: car over filled with oil - scrannel - 21-03-2013 03:52pm

And... the engine was at running temperature?

RE: car over filled with oil - XFullFatTim - 21-03-2013 07:04pm

It seems to be quite a common fault with dealership service bays, and not just LR. My father's Honda was overfilled and several other family member's have found the garage has added too much oil. I suspect the problem comes from the short amount of time allowed in the service schedule for the sump to fully drain. The spanner monkeys open the plug, let it run until only regular drips are coming out then put the plug back in and refill, unfortunately not all the old oil gets drained out but the correct measurement of new oil is added to the old oil remaining in the engine making it overfilled

RE: car over filled with oil - Bowl - 23-03-2013 06:25pm

(21-03-2013 03:52pm)scrannel Wrote:  And... the engine was at running temperature?

Is it supposed to be? I thought we should check the oil level when the engine is dead cold.

RE: car over filled with oil - Bowl - 23-03-2013 08:52pm

Is this overfilled? I had to remove 1 litre by myself to be at this point. Sad sorry for the bad focus.
[Image: 8B0DD71C-D0FB-4EAC-8C88-98111CCED579-407...27463A.jpg]