babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Tips & Tricks (/Forum-Tips-Tricks)
+--- Thread: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings (/Thread-Saving-your-wiper-blades-on-frosty-mornings)

Pages: 1 2 3

Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - XFullFatTim - 29-11-2011 07:21am

To preserve the life of your wiper blades when the temperatures fall below freezing make sure if your car is parked outside, that the night before you switch off the wiper auto-on function. Frost on the sensor at the top of the screen cannot be differentiated from dirt/rain by the sensor so as soon as you press the starter button the wipers try to clear the screen........................... leading to torn blades. It also takes the front screen heater 30secs to clear frosted glass so even if you switch on the screen heater the rubbers will remain frozen onto the screen for that long.
The other option is to move to somewhere warm and sunny............................. where you will never need a heated front screen, but then you usually find there are other weather problems like forest fires and cyclones Rolling Eyes

RE: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - xxxx5 - 29-11-2011 07:58am

Welcome back Tim! The forum has been missing you!

RE: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - 3VOQU3 - 29-11-2011 08:46am

or alternatively move to Australia..

(cyclone's are up North, we get the fires.. lol) but you will never have frost on your windows Wink

RE: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - RacingSnake - 29-11-2011 09:38am

And if there is snow, and not frost, you can engage the 'snow park' feature on the wipers too. Smile

RE: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - LDT - 29-11-2011 10:29am

Great tip, thanks! I am impressed that the front screen heater will only take around 30 secs to defrost the glass!

RE: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - XFullFatTim - 29-11-2011 10:59am

I cannot wait to see how good this clever PTC heater is on a frosty morning too, as in theory the engine can still be frozen cold but the heater should start giving out hot air immediately you start up as it is a electric ceramic element and not coolant powered or diesel powered one like all the old tech Range Rovers have

RE: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - Evo-king - 29-11-2011 11:12am

(29-11-2011 10:59am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I cannot wait to see how good this clever PTC heater is on a frosty morning too, as in theory the engine can still be frozen cold but the heater should start giving out hot air immediately you start up as it is a electric ceramic element and not coolant powered or diesel powered one like all the old tech Range Rovers have

This is really interesting, so let me see, firstly the Evoque has heating element in the windscreen (on certain models), plus it has snow park for the wipers and now I hear it has an independent electric heater for the demist.

Well done Land Rover.

RE: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - LDT - 29-11-2011 12:02pm

I have not heard of snow park - I will take a look at the manual to establish if standard on a Prestige.

RE: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - RacingSnake - 29-11-2011 12:03pm

it is.
it positions the wipers a couple of inches up from the bottom of the screen.

RE: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings - LDT - 29-11-2011 12:06pm

Thanks, that's helpful and good news. No doubt there are many other features/toys I am unaware of which is why this forum is so interesting.