babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Power Tailgate Won't Open
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a problem that has reoccurred soon after the first fix by my dealer. The power tailgate tries to open, but only moves slightly upward (1/8”) and then attempts to re close itself, but the car still thinks its open and I get the warning alert on the dash saying open tailgate. It isn’t securely closed in this state as it will rattle over a bump, although it appears closed. The first fix which lasted for about two weeks was to replace the tailgate’s latch, striker and motor. It was a difficult repair as the old parts had to be cut with the tailgate in the down position trying not to damage the surrounding area. Has anyone experienced this problem. The tailgate won’t open using either the key button or the manual button near the rear license plate.
Have you tried the button in the cabin?
(12-03-2015 02:01pm)mstraka Wrote: [ -> ]I have a problem that has reoccurred soon after the first fix by my dealer. The power tailgate tries to open, but only moves slightly upward (1/8”) and then attempts to re close itself, but the car still thinks its open and I get the warning alert on the dash saying open tailgate. It isn’t securely closed in this state as it will rattle over a bump, although it appears closed. The first fix which lasted for about two weeks was to replace the tailgate’s latch, striker and motor. It was a difficult repair as the old parts had to be cut with the tailgate in the down position trying not to damage the surrounding area. Has anyone experienced this problem. The tailgate won’t open using either the key button or the manual button near the rear license plate.

I had a problem where it only opened a few inches (albeit more than you describe). I opened it manually to its full height, then closed it electrically. Since then, the problem hasn't recurred.
I assume you get the Click as the latch opens when you Press the Keyfob/Dash Button, hence the tailgate releasing a small way, if you try to gently help it open does it continue to open?, you could also try pulling the tailgate manually to the not quite fully open position and hold the close button down for 10 seconds, this will reset the open-to position. Then close electrically with the button and try re-opening.

Failing this I would expect the problem is more likely in the motor torque sensing or positional sensing (not sure how this is done), which are tripping out as if the tailgate is hitting something when opening. Definitely a Warranty fix!
(12-03-2015 02:01pm)mstraka Wrote: [ -> ]I have a problem that has reoccurred soon after the first fix by my dealer. The power tailgate tries to open, but only moves slightly upward (1/8”) and then attempts to re close itself, but the car still thinks its open and I get the warning alert on the dash saying open tailgate. It isn’t securely closed in this state as it will rattle over a bump, although it appears closed. The first fix which lasted for about two weeks was to replace the tailgate’s latch, striker and motor. It was a difficult repair as the old parts had to be cut with the tailgate in the down position trying not to damage the surrounding area. Has anyone experienced this problem. The tailgate won’t open using either the key button or the manual button near the rear license plate.

I received my Evoque today back from the dealer and I believe the reason for the tailgate not opening has been solved although it could happen again as this possibility is due to the design of the tailgate itself. According to the dealer the tailgate is fiberglass. It appears to be two pieces inner and outer laminated together with space between the two pieces that can trap particles and there is no way to get to most of this inner space and particles that they hold.
The first day I purchased my new Evoque, my angry ex wife smashed the rear window. Luckily I stopped her before she did the same to the other windows and other damage to the car. Upon removing and replacing the broken rear window, particles of glass fell down into the tailgate and because of the way it is constructed it couldn’t be removed but could move around inside. The panel that does remove from the inner side of the tailgate is small and doesn’t give access to much of this dead space inside the tailgate. I can hear the broken glass rattling inside the tailgate each time it is lifted and closed. The glass pieces got wedged into the motorized latch keeping it from releasing completely. The car wouldn't lock because it thought the tailgate was open since it wasn't latched securly. Vacuming with a small nozzle and and using compressed air removes most of the glass but there is still enough left to cause this problem.
My advice is to marry wisely, but should you ever have your rear window broken try to keep any glass particles from falling into this dead space in the tailgate or otherwise you could experience the problem I have. The first time it occurred the dealer had to carefully cut the rear latch, without damaging the surrounding area to get the tailgate open. The second time, pushing outward from inside the tailgate got it to release.
I didn't break the glass on my tailgate, I reversed into a "safety" barrier on a very cold morning and the composite that it is made of cracked from the bottom of the screen to the bottom lip of the tailgate and required a whole new tailgate, so I can confirm that it is made of a fibreglass like material. Apart from the exterior skin of the tailgate breaking, the interior trims on the inside of the tailgate also broke as the black trim panels are also made of composite and just cracked and split. It was easier (and doubtless cheaper) for my local dealer to replace the entire taigate along with all the other parts that go into it than to repair only the broken parts. I didn't get any refund for the bits that could have been recovered and recycled that were undamaged though.
Supply and fitting of a complete tailgate cost £1700 at the end of the day, I'm sure that just the labour cost of replacing only the damaged skin and interior trim would have come to more had the dealer not just replaced the entire unit.
Thanks for the Feedback mstraka, that sure is one crazy/angry ex-wife!

Yes in my creation of the Auto Tailgate Closer I dropped a little spring clip into that space, and it sure is hard to get things out of there, luckily I have quite flexible hands and could get in enough to flick it into an accessible place, but I was looking to put gaffer tape inverted on the end of a screwdriver to get into the crevice to try to pick it up, as you tend to push things with sharp edges deeper in where they embed themselves in the plastic, must be a real pain with those glass blocks that get everywhere.

Hope it's sorted for you and at least you know what it is now if it happens again.
(13-03-2015 06:02am)mstraka Wrote: [ -> ]I received my Evoque today back from the dealer and I believe the reason for the tailgate not opening has been solved although it could happen again as this possibility is due to the design of the tailgate itself. According to the dealer the tailgate is fiberglass. It appears to be two pieces inner and outer laminated together with space between the two pieces that can trap particles and there is no way to get to most of this inner space and particles that they hold.
The first day I purchased my new Evoque, my angry ex wife smashed the rear window. Luckily I stopped her before she did the same to the other windows and other damage to the car. Upon removing and replacing the broken rear window, particles of glass fell down into the tailgate and because of the way it is constructed it couldn’t be removed but could move around inside. The panel that does remove from the inner side of the tailgate is small and doesn’t give access to much of this dead space inside the tailgate. I can hear the broken glass rattling inside the tailgate each time it is lifted and closed. The glass pieces got wedged into the motorized latch keeping it from releasing completely. The car wouldn't lock because it thought the tailgate was open since it wasn't latched securly. Vacuming with a small nozzle and and using compressed air removes most of the glass but there is still enough left to cause this problem.
My advice is to marry wisely, but should you ever have your rear window broken try to keep any glass particles from falling into this dead space in the tailgate or otherwise you could experience the problem I have. The first time it occurred the dealer had to carefully cut the rear latch, without damaging the surrounding area to get the tailgate open. The second time, pushing outward from inside the tailgate got it to release.

LOL, sorry to laugh mstraka, but I think the wisest piece of your advice is to marry wisely or not marry at all...nothing so unpleasant as an extremely angry/hostile woman Smile What's the cliché "Happy Wife = Happy Life" Smile
Reference URL's