babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Winter in the Northern Hemisphere is upon us - be prepared!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This morning I woke up to a frozen car and -2c - of course I had forgotten to a) select the winter park position for the wipers and b) hadn't switch the auto-on function for them off.................. but it took about 30 secs for the front electric screen to do it's stuff and I remembered to switch the wipers to manual before starting up.

This winter I am trying a new (to me) washer bottle additive - normally I use Halfords own brand that works down to -20c if used neat. This autumn I bought 5litres of Bluecol Screen wash with "clearscreen" additive (the suff that prevents water settling on the screen, also works down to -15 diluted). I started using it in early October and seems to work well although there was still a thin layer of ice on the front and rear screens this morning.
(02-12-2014 07:16pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]This morning I woke up to a frozen car and -2c - of course I had forgotten to a) select the winter park position for the wipers and b) hadn't switch the auto-on function for them off.................. but it took about 30 secs for the front electric screen to do it's stuff and I remembered to switch the wipers to manual before starting up.

This winter I am trying a new (to me) washer bottle additive - normally I use Halfords own brand that works down to -20c if used neat. This autumn I bought 5litres of Bluecol Screen wash with "clearscreen" additive (the suff that prevents water settling on the screen, also works down to -15 diluted). I started using it in early October and seems to work well although there was still a thin layer of ice on the front and rear screens this morning.
Its still T shirt and shorts down here in Devon Tim......well not quite and it is due to get much colder. There was even a mention of snow towards the weekend...bring it on and lets go playing in the Evoque!!
I just use Car plan all seasons screen wash, seems okay.
Good reminder about the winter parking position for wipers...cheers.
My D4 is frozen solid at the moment.

It gets its 3rd service/winter health check and 1st MOT on Friday, so it will just be dealer stuff that goes in it.

Really missing my heated steering wheel.

Roll on March when my DS comes, the heated wheel was the first option ticked, I'm surprised it's not standard on the HSE. Hopefully it will still be cold enough to use it, and dark enough to see the benefits of my xenon headlights, never had them before.
-11 this morning, here in Canada. Last winter we saw -26 which is the coldest I've seen since moving here from the uk. Loving the heated steering wheel and thanks for the reminder for winter wiper parking!
First snow of the year fell last night here, although not much, oh well with luck we'll see more.
I'm planning on moving my newly arrived Dynamic to Geneva for the ski season, only they is no snow in the french alps yet and none forecast Crying

A balmy 7 degrees here in London this morning.

Wish I'd ordered the heated steering wheel, all the same.
My Dynamic is due for delivery here (Geneva) next month by which time hopefully the snow will have shown it's face. In the mean time, I have searched posts here and on the 'other' UK forum and cannot find a definitive answer to what traction assistance device is best in the snow with 19" tyres (socks or chains and which brands)
-1 here in Sunny Oxfordshire, I remembered my Auto Wipers Off this morning, and the Heated screen always makes me smile... I do like just hitting "MAX". Have the 19" rims on instead of the 20's again as of this weekend, although still standard M+S tyres, as I can't seem to wear any out! Not that I'm complaining Laughing

I think that's colds heading south Tim this weekend. Although from the Beeb, looked like the Shetlands was the warmest in UK with rain clouds.
So Bill, you'd recommend 19" out your way.

My planned use is to have the car garaged in Geneva (where my wife works) then fly over at weekends, and drive up to Morzine., via Thonon. This year I don't remember there being much snow on the roads, but the year before was very different.

I hadn't really wanted to by buy snow tires but if you think I should I'll need to source some 19" rims and snow tires.

(03-12-2014 01:27pm)Bill Wrote: [ -> ]My Dynamic is due for delivery here (Geneva) next month by which time hopefully the snow will have shown it's face. In the mean time, I have searched posts here and on the 'other' UK forum and cannot find a definitive answer to what traction assistance device is best in the snow with 19" tyres (socks or chains and which brands)
(03-12-2014 02:13pm)iwf Wrote: [ -> ]So Bill, you'd recommend 19" out your way.

My planned use is to have the car garaged in Geneva (where my wife works) then fly over at weekends, and drive up to Morzine., via Thonon. This year I don't remember there being much snow on the roads, but the year before was very different.

I hadn't really wanted to by buy snow tires but if you think I should I'll need to source some 19" rims and snow tires.

Iwf,

I have 19" winter tyres fitted on mine for the winter with ice&snow Pirelli's. Great tyres.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's