babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Head Up Display
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've put an order through just under two weeks ago for a new Evoque but having seen artices on the laser HUD I think I'm going to get it added to my order. Autocar are saying it's available to order now but the configurator on the LR website doesn't have it as an available option at present. Does anyone know about this? When will be the cut off for when I can get this added?

I think watching Airwolf as a kid has made this a no brainer!! Wink
I may be placing an order myself soon. I am looking forward to seeing the new HUD as soon as they are out in the wild.

I had HUD in a BMW and found it very useful.
I'm in the US and plan to place my order in a few months. The local JLR dealer still hasn't received the MY2015 specs with the new colours and options...and there isn't any info in the Configurator. I hope the HUD becomes available here.

(24-09-2014 09:45pm)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]I've put an order through just under two weeks ago for a new Evoque but having seen artices on the laser HUD I think I'm going to get it added to my order. Autocar are saying it's available to order now but the configurator on the LR website doesn't have it as an available option at present. Does anyone know about this? When will be the cut off for when I can get this added?

I think watching Airwolf as a kid has made this a no brainer!! Wink
That's odd I'm sure it was an option when I ordered mine, not that I did. But it's gone now.

I'm just going sling my iPhone onto the dash and use the HUD version of sygic at night.

I did have a hud on a bmw I hired earlier in the year. V good at night, less so during the day.
It's definitely available in The UK as I added it to my order yesterday. Still not showing as an option on the configurator as yet though.

The info on the HUD shows the speed limit on the screen too. Not sure if this is standard or only if you have the extra pack with that option on. Will get the dealer to double check for me when I can speak to my contact.
Makes sense if it has the speed limit indication as the road sign recognition system is part of the "Intelligence" Pack. I have it and love it - no reason to exceed the speedlimit as you always have the last speed limit sign staring out of the dash at you and it is accurate as it appears not just to use the front facing cam but also a database in the satnav as sometimes it shows signs that I know have been moved (still there but moved further out of a built up area) yet the sign on the dash has changed to the old speed limit!
(30-09-2014 10:58pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]Makes sense if it has the speed limit indication as the road sign recognition system is part of the "Intelligence" Pack. I have it and love it - no reason to exceed the speedlimit as you always have the last speed limit sign staring out of the dash at you and it is accurate as it appears not just to use the front facing cam but also a database in the satnav as sometimes it shows signs that I know have been moved (still there but moved further out of a built up area) yet the sign on the dash has changed to the old speed limit!

Do you think that the intelligent pack represents good value Tim?
(01-10-2014 09:53pm)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think that the intelligent pack represents good value Tim?

The speed is more likely to come from the Nav system. In the bmws the current speed limit is shown on the nav display. It's that plus routing info that is projected

Search for Jag YouTube adverts. It'll be the same for the Evoque.
(01-10-2014 09:53pm)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think that the intelligent pack represents good value Tim?

I don't think any of the packs except the Service pack offer good value. They are overpriced and many of the the constituent toys are just that, toys, or at worst half baked toys (like the powered tailgate that is only a remote controlled powered open and not remote controlled close - it's just as inconvenient to have to put down something large and heavy after unloading the car as it is loading it in the first place). I have Lux, Plus, Intelligence and Service packs on my car but I had to take the useless items that I never use like auto-parking, TV etc to get the ones I did want because you can only get them as part of a pack. Even if they cost half of what they cost they would still be overpriced and most of the bits you don't get any value for when you sell the car on. I do love my Plus pack front sports seats though, they are so comfortable on a long drive and I find the road sign recognition a great feature. Let's face it for any car maker the optional extras are a gold mine. At least LR's options are not as much of a rip off as Porsche's or BMW's where what should be standard fit is an option.
Some of the options like Wade Depth Sensing on the Evoque I think are a complete waste of money - next to no owners will take their Evoque into the conditions where it is useful, and the same system isn't even an option on the Defender where owners regularly take them deep wading, same for RRS2, FFRR and D4 owners, how many will ever take their cars where it is useful yet it is an option on them all! Even the novelty of surround cams and InControl Remote have worn off and rarely get used by my now. Yet LR does have some great extras - Trailer Assist is really good if like me you have problems getting the tow ball lined up with the trailer draw to hitch up!
(01-10-2014 10:46pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think any of the packs except the Service pack offer good value. They are overpriced and many of the the constituent toys are just that, toys, or at worst half baked toys (like the powered tailgate that is only a remote controlled powered open and not remote controlled close - it's just as inconvenient to have to put down something large and heavy after unloading the car as it is loading it in the first place). I have Lux, Plus, Intelligence and Service packs on my car but I had to take the useless items that I never use like auto-parking, TV etc to get the ones I did want because you can only get them as part of a pack. Even if they cost half of what they cost they would still be overpriced and most of the bits you don't get any value for when you sell the car on. I do love my Plus pack front sports seats though, they are so comfortable on a long drive and I find the road sign recognition a great feature. Let's face it for any car maker the optional extras are a gold mine. At least LR's options are not as much of a rip off as Porsche's or BMW's where what should be standard fit is an option.
Some of the options like Wade Depth Sensing on the Evoque I think are a complete waste of money - next to no owners will take their Evoque into the conditions where it is useful, and the same system isn't even an option on the Defender where owners regularly take them deep wading, same for RRS2, FFRR and D4 owners, how many will ever take their cars where it is useful yet it is an option on them all! Even the novelty of surround cams and InControl Remote have worn off and rarely get used by my now. Yet LR does have some great extras - Trailer Assist is really good if like me you have problems getting the tow ball lined up with the trailer draw to hitch up!

I think it's great that Tim calls a spade a spade. He may be the biggest contributor here and a long time LR user but he is far from being a fan-boy where LR can do no wrong.

There is a lot of nonsense coming from LR with these driver assist options, mostly software based and dependent on the software being able to create an accurate assessment of the world around the car. However hard you try, there is always be situations in the real world where the car's electronics and software gets muddled which is why I think driverless cars are a long way off except in very specific circumstances like car trains on a motorway.

It would be far better if they instead fitted a cutting edge in-car display instead of soldiering on with the old thing we have now.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's