babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Wind and road noise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

As many of you in UK had test driven the Evoque, what do you think of the WhatCar review commenting?

Quote:"...The wind noise that builds up around the door mirrors is far more intrusive, and road noise can also be a problem, particularly with cars on 20-inch wheels. "

Do you agree? And how intrusive it really is (for example compared maybe to FFRR or RRS)?

I am asking this as I am still thinking what wheel size to choose. In EU on the Dynamic the 19" are standard, but the 20" Style 7 look so good to me... (White Dynamic with Black roof for example).

Thanks!
Never noticed it, and I am currently driving a car with sound proofed side glass (the FFRR and RRS have sound insulating side glass on the driver's and front passenger's windows) so I'm sure I would have noticed it more than many if it had been loud. Far more important would be the quality of the roads you normally drive on - if your roads are not such great quality then I would suggest staying with the 19" wheels as the tyres will have higher sidewalls and give better protection to the alloys and a nicer ride
I never noticed any intrusive wind noise from the side mirrors or any excessive tyre roar from the 20".
ANT
Hmm the roads.... I guess they are far from perfect here...
I guess I will stay with 19".... I will ask the dealer if I can get the Style 3 on the 5 door, they are looking very good too.
Tbh there was no wind noise or any from the tyres,because the routes that were selected in the London drive,the max I could just about get up to was 40 mph
On the Gleneagles Unleashed days we got to drive pockmarked A roads around the Crieff area in cars on the wheels that would be OEM for the model. There are some seriously fast sections where it was very easy to get to well beyond the legal limit .............. Not sure about WackyJim, but I tested the Dynamic well at speed and on the roughish roads we drove there was no more wind/tyrenoise inside the Evoque than there would have been in my FFRR and the ride comfort was as good considering the FFFRR I have rides on 19" wheels and the Evoque was on 20's. The only road surface we couldn't drive on was motorway but rough lanes and fast A roads it handled well from an NVH point of view
Reference URL's