babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Michelin Easy Grip snow chains?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Picked up my new eD4 manual last week. Loving everything about it except for the gear change from 1st to 2nd which is very stiff. Drove the 300km from Canberra to Sydney yesterday and got 5.1l/100km which I think is fantastic! Previous drive was a Golf TDI MK6 DSG which consistently gave 4.9 l/100km for the same journey but is hundreds of kilos lighter.

Now my question
I'm going to the Snow in July and will be required to carry chains in the National Park. I have 18" style 2 wheels (235 60 1Cool. Owners Manual says no chains can be fitted to 18" wheels. Road and Traffic Authority say snow socks are not chains, so I'm thinking Michelin Easy Grip X12s may be the answer. Is there anyone here who has tried them? Are there any clearance issues?

I'm visiting London this weekend and could grab a pair while I'm there if they work.

Cheers
John
JPH welcome to the forum! Another Aussie!
Couple of quick questions;
- is your Evoque a 2WD? And if not are you intending on going to the VIC snowfields? If NSW and with AWD you don't need chains. I go every year and the Evoque works perfectly. Was the reason I bought it!

If you need chains will refer to others to comment, as above have not needed...
BA, eD4 is front wheel drive only.

JPH, welcome to the forums - there are lots of posts about snowchains, mainly from owners of 4WD versions of Evoque though. There is a search function on the tool bar below the header banner that may turn up something for you.
Thanks guys!
Yes, as xfullfatim rigthly pointed out the eD4 is a 2wd. It was going to be a 4 month wait for a 4wd. I did the waiting thing last time with the vw golf...never again Smile
From the research I have done it looks like the roads authority in NSW is going to change the rules to make carrying chains compulsory for 4wds too. Too many softroader awd have ended up in ditches on their roofs.

I have spent many hours trawling through this site and others trying to get an answer to the question. Do michelin easy grip chains fit the 235 60 18 wheels?

In all my years of visiting the kosciuszko national park i have never actually had to use my chains. But they do do random checks and fine you if you cant show a pair of chain that fit your vehicle. So im looking for a cheap solution.

Any ideas?
http://www.autopointcarparts.co.uk/index...x12-1.html
This site says they fit your wheels - let us know how you get on with the eD4 in the snow.
I've gotten mine down to 4.9 on long journeys so it is possible and the gear changes will get smoother with time. Loving mine!
Ok, I've ordered the Easy Grip chains through Halfords. Pick them up next week. I'll post a review on the fit when I get back.
Cheers
John
So I'm back in Australia and just test fitted the chains before heading into the mountains tomorrow. First one was a bit of a struggle but the second was easy. Drove around the concrete parking lot and you an hardly tell they are there. Here are some photos

[Image: amy8ujaq.jpg][Image: ydyze5en.jpg][Image: y5yna7em.jpg]
Well I hope you have fun in the snow...I lived in Nepal for a time, so that was a life time of snow and I never go near it now.

Hope you do OK as they are predicting extreme cold with potential for snow and blizzards are predicted up in the snow country, and here in Canberra we are experiencing heavy winds plus raining and snow is a possibility, though it's 8 degrees here now. (that's my weather forecast duty for today LOL)
Jph,

Not really chains are they Wink

What make are they?
[Image: edybabyj.jpg]

A big fail for Michelin easy grips. Even when put on perfectly they gradually drift off centre as show in photo. Had to stop every few kilometres to realign them. They grip the ice well and are very quiet. But the stress of wondering if they are going to fall off was too much for me.

And Mark ^^ it's crazy snow here today[Image: vetevatu.jpg]
Reference URL's