babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Suspension "harshness" and "noise"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all, I took delivery of my 2014 9-speed Evoque Prestige just a few days ago. The first thing is that the 9-speed makes an incredible difference to the performance over that of the 6-speed as well as the Jaguar XF 8-speed 2.2D which I traded in on the Evoque. Yes, there is still a lag if you floor the throttle from a standing start but, if you drive the vehicle less F1-style, it performs VERY well across a wider spread of revs and is far more responsive at lower rpm. I never drove the Jag in "D" due to the gaps in performance whereas the new Evoque can be driven in "D" with no frustration - great!

I really like this vehicle and see a long-term marriage but one thing is threatening to destroy this honeymoon - the suspension! First of all it has the new 19" standard rim with 55 profile tyres. It "thrummed" on the highway coming home from the dealer sending an annoying resonance throughout the cabin. It also "bumped" and "thumped" over every little thing in the road which is always audible. It's harshness is such that, compared to EVERY ONE of the 50 or so cars I've driven, you are constantly rocking from side to side in the cabin - this accompanied by suspension "thrumming", "thumping" and "bumping". The tyre pressures were wrong (too high) on delivery and I have changed them six times in the last five days to eliminate the problem but to almost no avail. At 220kPa all around the tyre pressure warning alarm just doesn't come on and the "thrumming" reduces to a "suspension resonance" of decreased intrusion and annoyance. But, to me, the suspension is still far too harsh - the hardest I have ever experienced in any vehicle - and the noise intrusion from the suspension "bumping" and "thumping" away is also by far the worst I have ever experienced. I tool it back to the dealer yesterday and was assured that the vehicle is as per specification.

My questions to you are:
1. Was I wrong to expect my SUV-off-the-ground-Evoque vehicle to drive like my ex-Prado (i.e. a comfortable ride lacking totally in harshness and noise)?
2. Should I have expected my SUV-off-the-ground-Evoque vehicle to drive like a sports car a few millimetres above the road with go-kart-like suspension?
3. Does anyone else out there have a problem like this or is there an issue with my vehicle?
4. Does everybody accept that the firm ride is just part of the Evoque experience?
5. If the the firm ride and noise are part of the experience is there anything I can do to decrease both of them? That's the bottom line. I don't want to part with this great vehicle but I want a softer, quieter ride. Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

Derek Cochrane
I'm guessing that you had a decent test drive in an Evoque before ordering your car, how does yours compare with the test car?
My experience is that the ride is quite firm but not disastrous even when compared to a Jaguar 3.0s XF which I previously owned or to a friends XF 2.2. In fact he recently tested our Evoque and complimented it on the ride. Our Car does have the standard Pure 18inch wheels, perhaps they make quite a difference.
Thanks for your comments, Tim. In hindsight the drive was mainly on smooth highway-type roads and should have covered more "normal" roads which are definitely not very smooth with very few bumps. I should have actually had the vehicle for a weekend to see the ride over the urban roads I travel all the time and which are the main cause of my discontent.
Although Land Rover suggests for the 19" wheels 250 kPa for the front and 220 kPa for the rear, the dealer sets all at 200 kPa to optimise the ride. Unfortunately 200 kPa keeps the tyre pressure warning light lit all the time so 220 kPa all round seems to be the best bet.
However, even at 200 kPa all round (done as a test), although the ride is definitely "softer", it is still too firm and too noisy from within the cabin. I deliberately didn't go for the optional 20" wheels as I knew the effect this could have on the ride so I am surprised at the firm and noisy ride on the standard 19" wheels.
Thanks
Derek
(04-03-2014 10:43am)Derek Cochrane Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your comments, Tim. In hindsight the drive was mainly on smooth highway-type roads and should have covered more "normal" roads which are definitely not very smooth with very few bumps. I should have actually had the vehicle for a weekend to see the ride over the urban roads I travel all the time and which are the main cause of my discontent.
Although Land Rover suggests for the 19" wheels 250 kPa for the front and 220 kPa for the rear, the dealer sets all at 200 kPa to optimise the ride. Unfortunately 200 kPa keeps the tyre pressure warning light lit all the time so 220 kPa all round seems to be the best bet.
However, even at 200 kPa all round (done as a test), although the ride is definitely "softer", it is still too firm and too noisy from within the cabin. I deliberately didn't go for the optional 20" wheels as I knew the effect this could have on the ride so I am surprised at the firm and noisy ride on the standard 19" wheels.
Thanks
Derek

Not sure if the magnaride is an after sale option, but I noticed the regular suspension was at BMW firm levels (but no obtrusive noise) compared to the magnaride and so selected that.

I've heard changing tyre brands can help but would be a hard thing to test for. Hope that the initial firmness softens over time.
Magne-ride is a factory fitted option on Prestige versions and in the UK it is standard on Dynamic's . It operates all the time - some people have an idea that it only operates in Dynamic mode but that is just a second "setting" for the system so it reacts more quickly than in "standard" mode. It cannot be fitted by the dealer as a dealer fit option as it is also linked to other systems like the electronic power steering.
(04-03-2014 12:39pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]Magne-ride is a factory fitted option on Prestige versions and in the UK it is standard on Dynamic's . It operates all the time - some people have an idea that it only operates in Dynamic mode but that is just a second "setting" for the system so it reacts more quickly than in "standard" mode. It cannot be fitted by the dealer as a dealer fit option as it is also linked to other systems like the electronic power steering.

Suspected as much that it was a factory fit, which is why I was keen to select it.

I haven't read that the set up has changed for the 2014 model, so this may be of interest to you Derek. At the very least you will know what is under the body and may be able to do a bit of isolated diagnosis. Good luck.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track...round.html
Yep, my 2013 Pure Plus has a very firm suspension. I would say it is firmer than my Toyota 86 stock suspension.

Kind of strange for an SUV, but it doesn't bother me that much.
(04-03-2014 09:12am)Derek Cochrane Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, I took delivery of my 2014 9-speed Evoque Prestige just a few days ago. The first thing is that the 9-speed makes an incredible difference to the performance over that of the 6-speed as well as the Jaguar XF 8-speed 2.2D which I traded in on the Evoque. Yes, there is still a lag if you floor the throttle from a standing start but, if you drive the vehicle less F1-style, it performs VERY well across a wider spread of revs and is far more responsive at lower rpm. I never drove the Jag in "D" due to the gaps in performance whereas the new Evoque can be driven in "D" with no frustration - great!

I really like this vehicle and see a long-term marriage but one thing is threatening to destroy this honeymoon - the suspension! First of all it has the new 19" standard rim with 55 profile tyres. It "thrummed" on the highway coming home from the dealer sending an annoying resonance throughout the cabin. It also "bumped" and "thumped" over every little thing in the road which is always audible. It's harshness is such that, compared to EVERY ONE of the 50 or so cars I've driven, you are constantly rocking from side to side in the cabin - this accompanied by suspension "thrumming", "thumping" and "bumping". The tyre pressures were wrong (too high) on delivery and I have changed them six times in the last five days to eliminate the problem but to almost no avail. At 220kPa all around the tyre pressure warning alarm just doesn't come on and the "thrumming" reduces to a "suspension resonance" of decreased intrusion and annoyance. But, to me, the suspension is still far too harsh - the hardest I have ever experienced in any vehicle - and the noise intrusion from the suspension "bumping" and "thumping" away is also by far the worst I have ever experienced. I tool it back to the dealer yesterday and was assured that the vehicle is as per specification.

My questions to you are:
1. Was I wrong to expect my SUV-off-the-ground-Evoque vehicle to drive like my ex-Prado (i.e. a comfortable ride lacking totally in harshness and noise)?
2. Should I have expected my SUV-off-the-ground-Evoque vehicle to drive like a sports car a few millimetres above the road with go-kart-like suspension?
3. Does anyone else out there have a problem like this or is there an issue with my vehicle?
4. Does everybody accept that the firm ride is just part of the Evoque experience?
5. If the the firm ride and noise are part of the experience is there anything I can do to decrease both of them? That's the bottom line. I don't want to part with this great vehicle but I want a softer, quieter ride. Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

Derek Cochrane

Did you check tire pressure? when I got mine home, it had 45 lb pressure.
MagneRide turned the Dynamic into a very competent sports sedan. Set to its 'stock' setting the car is very smooth, not stiff or obtrusive in any way, which is part of its design, yet really "comes on" under load. I have an extremely bad back and can ride all day without issue. If I set the MagneRide to its "firm" position, it eventually gets to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe putting it in "firm" also shortens the steering throw.

But yes, if you wanted the car to perform like a sports sedan, MagneRide would have been a good choice.

In 2013, in the states, you could only get it -- and an option -- on the Dynamic. Not sure about 2014.
My Pure coupe on 19's is much more comfortable than my previous Audi A5 coupe sport, but not as comfortable as my brothers Freelander 2 which is on the same tyres as my Evoque
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's