babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Tough times!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We have run our own business since 1997 and are currently going through our toughest times (financially) ever. Hubby has a two year old RRS autobiography and as you know I currently drive my Evoque. I have been thinking for a while that I should probably get rid of mine to reduce our out goings. I finally said the words out loud over Xmas, Hubby agreed but also said he should 'down grade' too!

So we still need at least one capable 4x4 and another vehicle of some description. Our first thoughts are a used Discovery and possibly a used Freelander.....

Any thoughts? I think we are set on a Discovery but the second car could be any make/model.....

Any advice on selling cars of this value privately? We are not in a desperate hurry so don't need to accept any silly offers but it's definitely something we want to do... Or we could try to part ex them against a Discovery but I have no experience of part ex-ing when 'down grading'... Is this something the dealer would even consider?

Any advice gratefully received!

It'll be a sad day when it comes but 'it's only a car'!!! Crying

Ali.
I have some advice on part exing, don't!
Dealers always offer the lowest price, also Landrover offered me the lowest price for my BMW so I sold it on eBay,
I've sold a few cars on eBay and always get the best price possible there. Just make sure the cash is cleared in ur account before letting the car go, don't let it go even if they have payed by PayPal as there r scams doin that way.
If you don't like eBay sell it locally via papers or the nation wide car mags.
If ur a bit strapped for cash then sell it privately it always pays to do so.
And yes you should be able to part ex ur car against a used one if u need to do so!
Take ur car in first and get them to give u an appraisal of ur car and a price, then check the book price and see what's best for u.
Hope this helps
Onebigjobby
(07-01-2014 05:49am)Onebigjobby Wrote: [ -> ]I have some advice on part exing, don't!
Dealers always offer the lowest price, also Landrover offered me the lowest price for my BMW so I sold it on eBay,
I've sold a few cars on eBay and always get the best price possible there. Just make sure the cash is cleared in ur account before letting the car go, don't let it go even if they have payed by PayPal as there r scams doin that way.
If you don't like eBay sell it locally via papers or the nation wide car mags.
If ur a bit strapped for cash then sell it privately it always pays to do so.
And yes you should be able to part ex ur car against a used one if u need to do so!
Take ur car in first and get them to give u an appraisal of ur car and a price, then check the book price and see what's best for u.
Hope this helps
Onebigjobby

Great advice but please don't use text speak on the forum it makes it hard to readSad
Ali, as yours is an Si4 it might be better on your pocket to keep the Evoque for a bit longer as prices for them aren't as strong as the SD/TD/eD's, however having said that I would suggest that you give Matt Guerney or Jeremy Jackson at Hadley Green Land Rover (they have a banner ad at the top of the forum) a phone call as I know they are often looking for SI4's for customers in the London area and yours is also in one of London's favourite colours. It's also worth a free advert in our Market Place section, plenty of "guests" seem to read that bit so you might have just the car somebody is looking for.
Have you thought about a 2014MY Defender 110 XS Stationwagon as a replacement? A lot cheaper to buy than a Disco, much more fun, nowhere near as comfortable and soon to be taken off the market so values should hold up well
(07-01-2014 05:31pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]Ali, as yours is an Si4 it might be better on your pocket to keep the Evoque for a bit longer as prices for them aren't as strong as the SD/TD/eD's, however having said that I would suggest that you give Matt Guerney or Jeremy Jackson at Hadley Green Land Rover (they have a banner ad at the top of the forum) a phone call as I know they are often looking for SI4's for customers in the London area and yours is also in one of London's favourite colours. It's also worth a free advert in our Market Place section, plenty of "guests" seem to read that bit so you might have just the car somebody is looking for.
Have you thought about a 2014MY Defender 110 XS Stationwagon as a replacement? A lot cheaper to buy than a Disco, much more fun, nowhere near as comfortable and soon to be taken off the market so values should hold up well

Thanks for the replies.

We are still mulling over the whole thing. It's quite sad to think of selling the cars but we can always purchase again when the time is right. I don't think Hubby will be persuaded into buying a Defender, he likes his comfort too much Laughing

I will consider listing it in the Market Place when we have made our final decisions....

Thanks guys.

Ali.
Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I think you should sell the RRS (their value will fall as the supply situation on the new car improves so best to sell now), your husband takes a deep breath, swallows hard and uses the RRE and you get something to tide you over like a low mileage Golf, for example.
(07-01-2014 05:46pm)mark_n Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I think you should sell the RRS (their value will fall as the supply situation on the new car improves so best to sell now), your husband takes a deep breath, swallows hard and uses the RRE and you get something to tide you over like a low mileage Golf, for example.

Thanks Mark.

Yes this was one of my thoughts as well. He initially loved my Evoque but in reality it's a bit too small for him as he is a 'big guy'! I will mention this plan to him again though....

I have been having a quick look online today at various options. The 'look' of a car is really important to me and I find myself strangely attracted to the Hyundai Veloster Wink Will keep looking until we make some firm decisions.

Thanks again.

Ali.
I would say keep your Evoque as you will lose on it & gain nothing by swapping for an older Freelander. My advice would be ditch the RRS & get a top spec 2013MY Freelander.
(08-01-2014 12:18am)The Valeter Wrote: [ -> ]I would say keep your Evoque as you will lose on it & gain nothing by swapping for an older Freelander. My advice would be ditch the RRS & get a top spec 2013MY Freelander.

Agree entirely, running costs Evoque/Freelander nearly identical and what you'll get back against its depreciated value unlikely to make it really worth it. Ditch the RRS and replace that with a cheaper option. Best of luck!
13MY Freelander, ditch the Sport, no point replacing it with a Disco IMO the Fl2 is the better option (can't believe I said that I loved my D3) I've had 3 and only once have I had to take it to the dealer, and a bit easier on the fuel. My Fl2 has the same engine as my Evoque but it's returning better economy. Yes the Fl2 is becoming dated but it's still a handsome car.

My one is a

TD4 manual XS with
Piano black trim
Meridian 380 stero
Sat nav
Heated steering wheel
Leather
Halogen headlights with signature DRLs
Arm rest pack
Cold climate pack

Evoque wheels optional Laughing
It's a reasonable spec for not a lot of cash compared to the Evoque

You should be able to pick up and XS or better for a good price.

[Image: e1aa2042bb8255ab8f47cd03973ecdfb.jpg]
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's