babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Hidden Features?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not normally one for reading manuals from start to finish as I'm time poor as I work long hours. This got me thinking that there could be some features of the car that I'm not making use of. Other than advising me to spend forever reading the manual, are there any things on the Evoque that you guys use a lot that aren't obvious features?

I only tend to use voice control for making calls but it could be a hidden gem that I haven't taken full advantage of yet.

Cheers
(16-11-2013 08:25am)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not normally one for reading manuals from start to finish as I'm time poor as I work long hours. This got me thinking that there could be some features of the car that I'm not making use of. Other than advising me to spend forever reading the manual, are there any things on the Evoque that you guys use a lot that aren't obvious features?

I only tend to use voice control for making calls but it could be a hidden gem that I haven't taken full advantage of yet.

Cheers

The voice control is also an alternative way to get completely frustrated when using the sat. nav. instead of pressing a huge number of unnecessary buttons. You can rely on the fact that it will still endlessly divert you down alternative routes while avoiding the shortest route, the obvious motorway, or non-existent traffic problems.
I've never trusted TMC to be honest. Not a huge fan of the sat nav. Does anyone know where the data comes from for that? Is it that accurate? I was a loyal Tom Tom user before I had my evoque. I don't know why Land Rover just license the tech from Tom Tom? Probably wouldn't cost them that much.
Data for TMC comes from the Highways Agency and often it comes too late and even more often they forget to cancel it after an incident which leads to very few peolpe trusting it.
(16-11-2013 12:17pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]...and even more often they forget to cancel it after an incident which leads to very few peolpe trusting it.

Yeah, last Saturday I had a job with an early start - head off up the M5 and I get a 'traffic situation changed' popup which claimed that the M5 was closed ... however I remembered that there had been an incident on the previous day, same junctions, so as it was very early with hardly any traffic, I elected to ignore it. No M-way closure and no sign of anything, so I agree, they hadn't updated it since the previous day.

I also find the TMC icon changes to having a red line through it quite often, showing that there is no info being received - never had that issue on my BMW. Wholly unreliable it seems, which is a shame.
Does the maps cover UK only?? Or mainland Europe too? I tend to do road trips
The cost of an iPad and a good navigation program (or even the free Google or Apple ones) is definitely worth it to avoid the frustrations of the built-in one.
(16-11-2013 06:38pm)j7david Wrote: [ -> ]The cost of an iPad and a good navigation program (or even the free Google or Apple ones) is definitely worth it to avoid the frustrations of the built-in one.

I was hoping that there would be a way of getting a Tom Tom iPhone app to stream to the in car screen but I'm wildly optimistic I think! I'm working up in Chester at the moment - do you use the local Land Rover dealership here? Any good?
I have only once been let down by the routing in any of my various sat-nav equipped Range Rovers...... that was when, in my TDv8RRS I was in Luton and got guided twice round the one way system in the town centre - pulling into a side street was enough to force it to recalculate the route and I got to my destination OK. I must admit that I still carried an up to date road atlas with me. I think you will find that it isn't as bad as people make it out to be, it also can be set to learn routes that you take in preference to the one it gives you. My experience of iMaps and some of the other online systems isn't as good as using my LR system, especially in built-up areas
(16-11-2013 08:33pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]I have only once been let down by the routing in any of my various sat-nav equipped Range Rovers...... that was when, in my TDv8RRS I was in Luton and got guided twice round the one way system in the town centre - pulling into a side street was enough to force it to recalculate the route and I got to my destination OK. I must admit that I still carried an up to date road atlas with me. I think you will find that it isn't as bad as people make it out to be, it also can be set to learn routes that you take in preference to the one it gives you. My experience of iMaps and some of the other online systems isn't as good as using my LR system, especially in built-up areas

Any idea how you get it to learn routes that you take Tim? That sounds like a decent feature.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's