babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Winter tyres
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There's an interesting article on Auto Express complete with video re winter tyres

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/66...newsletter

Its a shame they hadn't used a proper 4x4 rather than a Kuga with part time 4 wheel drive - they could have compared a 2wd Evoque with a 4wd Evoque. Never the less the interesting points were:
1. The 2wd with winter tyres did better than the 4wd with standard tyres. Would this have been the case if the 4wd had been an Evoque with Terrain Response? I doubt it.
2. The 4wd when stopped slid back to where the 2wd had become stuck.
3. The article didn't cover breaking or cornering on winter and standard tyres.
It doesn't matter how many wheel drive you have; if you don't have mechanical grip you ain't going anywhere. The analogy I use when explaining winter tyres to people is ask if you would wear smooth soled leather shoes when walking on snow or would you choose shoe with tread so that you don't slip? This is exactly what winter tyres do.

Just ask my work colleague who I had to pull out of the car park when we have 2" of snow. He in his brand new Subaru OutBack 4x4 on summers and me in my humble Focus diesel on winters.......

Winters are currently on (17" Hankook IceBear).
The biggest problem with a 4WD SUV type vehicle is the false sense of security people have with them in slippery conditions - yes getting going and keeping going is easier BUT generally SUV type vehicles are a fair bit heavier than other cars and are more difficult to stop due to their momentum - winter tyres on an Evoque are great, but you still will not stop any easier and generally will do a lot more damage when grip is lost and the car starts to slide around.
Could talk about this all night but fact is the rubber used on winter tyres is softer than summer ones which means the tread/profile is more effective in colder conditions, hence more grip.

But and there is always a but, it's all down to speed and if your going to fast for the conditions it doesn't matter what socks you've put on your car.

BFG, winter tyres already? Might not even fit mine as the car is due to go by the end of the month.
Mine are staying in the garage for the same reason SP, FA57 RRE goes into the dealership next Tuesday - sold before we get the predicted harsh winter - I will be slumming it in my Defender until I jet of out to the sunshine of Jordan for the winter. Hopefully Halewood will have overcome the supply issues with some of the options by the time I get back.
My winter tyres went on Tuesday. We've already had a -2.5C temperature this week, and very little above 7C! Wouldn't want to compromise on braking distance or traction.
-5c in town centres and snow down to 100m is forecast for all of Scotland tonight IKM! You'll be glad of having them on the car I' sure.
(08-11-2013 06:41pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]Could talk about this all night but fact is the rubber used on winter tyres is softer than summer ones which means the tread/profile is more effective in colder conditions, hence more grip.

But and there is always a but, it's all down to speed and if your going to fast for the conditions it doesn't matter what socks you've put on your car.

BFG, winter tyres already? Might not even fit mine as the car is due to go by the end of the month.

On for the last three weeks - Style 7 are resting in the cellar. Had snow in Bavaria last weekend!
Thought you're in GT! Have you moved?
No, just have place there we visit regularly.

Where are you?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's