babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Grey "bloom" on inside of front and rear windscreens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In the last 3 weeks I have cleaned the inside of both front and rear screens with glass cleaner twice but within a week I have got this grey version of a nicotine film on the inside again - I've had it before but it has never returned as quickly as it has this time. Driving into the sun it makes the screen appear to be misted up, but it isn't. The car was serviced a month ago and a new ventilation filter fitted and the aircon/ climate is working really well. Any ideas how to reduce this film on the screens? I wondered if cleaning the inside of the screen with a weak solution of bleach might solve the problem but don't want to use that with the risk of getting drips on the leather dash topper. I'm a non smoker so it isn't cigarette smoke/ nicotine staining
Stop breathing !

Have it on all my van windows all the time - just have to clean it off with a microfiber cloth
I get this from time to time. I find the best way to clear it is to get a damp sponge with some Fairy liquid on it and clean the inside of the glass. Go over it again a couple more times just with a damp sponge to get rid of the detergent and finally buff with a microfibre cloth.

I find a lot of so called 'cleaners' just move the dirt and film around.
I have been using Autoglym glass cleaner but it looks like I'll have to resort to cleaning with good old fashioned hot water with some lemon juice or vinegar in it followed by a wipe over/ dry with a sheet of newspaper!
Decided long ago that using newspapers to clean glass is an old wives tale. Microfibre is the way to go!
I can understand this on a new car, as all that plastic & glue (which makes that "new car smell) has to cure. Leaving a firm over the inside windows. But as your car is now 2 years old, I haven't got an answer.
It's got me wanting to find out now, so I will be searching the net tonight.
I use 'armorall' wipes, and then buff with microfiber - seems to work (used to use fastglass but that misted)
Copied from the web.

Most people make the mistake of applying a glass cleaner once with the expectation that once is good enough and "that should do it". Automotive film is tough and comes from the gasses given off by the man-made components that make up the majority of the interior of a car. These gases tend to be oily and will require either a very strong chemical cleaner (which most people don't like to use - especially my wife) or a good quality micro-fibre cleaning cloth.
Diesels seem to be particularly bad producing the smearing inside the windscreen, I could recommend a product (but you know what i'm going to say already... Smile ) which has been designed to be Perfect on glass by reducing adding it's own smearing since most cleaners have a colourant or fragrant oil in them which defeats their purpose.

But a good degreaser and then a glass microfibre (very fine pile not the more wooly normal micro-fibre) is best. I always cover the dash with a towel first to avoid drips on the dash.

I've done mine 3 times in the 2 years and it needs it again.
What I don't understand is why after 2 years ownership and only needing to clean the inside of the glass 3or 4 times suddenly after a change of filter I HAVE to clean it every 2-3 weeks
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's