babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Odd Scratching
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just noticed on the black plastic trim at the top of my windscreen that there is some unusual scratching/scuffing. Pics attached
Trim-1 and -2 are the top of the drivers side, trim-3 id lower down
Trim -4 is the top of the passenger side and trim-5 is lower down the passenger side
[attachment=3682]
[attachment=3683]
[attachment=3684]
[attachment=3685]
[attachment=3686]

The only thing I can think that might have caused it was when I had quite a quick trip up the M6 Toll the other week
Swirling. Caused by washing & drying.
This high gloss plastic trim used on cars today is so soft. With out knowing your washing routine or knowledge on detailing I would say that the easiest way around this is with some "black" wax (not the one with T-cut). The black fillers in the wax will mask SOME of the damage.

Is there still no speed limit on the M6 toll Smile
Indeed quite a lot of swirling (the fine circular lines) exactly as doug says, but the first 2 pics in particular look like something's been dragged over the roof edge like a rope? (or are the larger marks dirt/reflection?)

Swirling can be polished out, or a filler polish can hide more temporarily, and that's why there's a lot of talk on gTechniq and other sealants to help avoid this.
You're not putting your car through any sort of car wash are you?
Philskill, thanks for the rope analogy, it got me thinking. A few weeks ago I was driving the bridesmaids to the church for my nephews wedding and we put ribbons on my car. Ill bet that is what could have caused it. I still cant believe that I hadn't noticed it before that though as I carefully wash and dry my car every week, in fact that's how I noticed it so I cant rule out the M6 Toll blast as that was between washes
Certainly possible Speary, ribbons will whip in the wind and could marr the paint if flapping against it, a decent polish should sort it out. I'm planning to polish and treat my black areas before the winter as they do start to swirl even with the best washing techniques as they are so soft.
(20-08-2013 08:41am)PhilSkill Wrote: [ -> ]Certainly possible Speary, ribbons will whip in the wind and could marr the paint if flapping against it, a decent polish should sort it out. I'm planning to polish and treat my black areas before the winter as they do start to swirl even with the best washing techniques as they are so soft.

Do you know if there is a clearcoat finish on the plastic parts or is it just black plastic all the way through ?
Excuse what might be a dumb question, but how can the toll booth scratch the bodywork (I tried without success to find a close up picture of the toll booths). Thanks
I'm would have thought it's certainly painted and almost certianly clear coat on top if it is painted, but wouldn't like to say I know, and doug mentions high gloss plastic above, he may know more...

Maybe i'll find out when I do mine, I intend to get C1 and Exo on the black when I can, and will be polishing with P2 Jewelling polish before hand.

(20-08-2013 01:48pm)IKM Wrote: [ -> ]Excuse what might be a dumb question, but how can the toll booth scratch the bodywork (I tried without success to find a close up picture of the toll booths). Thanks

I think speary means some exuberant driving on the M6 Toll which is often empty, and a pleasure to drive, even if you have to pay for that pleasure.
The black gloss trim is just plastic, nothing added.
Its not just LR using this sort of plastic for window trims. Other makes use the same material. I have heard of people having door pillars wrapped as soon as the White plastic cover is removed as the best washing practices in the world will still leave swirling.

The same material is used on black TV's. Just wipe a MF cloth over one of these, shine a Sun gun at it & you will see just how easily this plastic is marked.
It's a combination of being high gloss & black which is the problem. One way around this would be if it was clear coated. This would leave a much harder shell on surface of the plastic. Of course it would still mark, but at least a lot easier to correct any damage.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's