Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Odd Scratching
speary

Odd Scratching

Just noticed on the black plastic trim at the top of my windscreen that there is some unusual scratching/scuffing. Pics attached
Trim-1 and -2 are the top of the drivers side, trim-3 id lower down
Trim -4 is the top of the passenger side and trim-5 is lower down the passenger side

The only thing I can think that might have caused it was when I had quite a quick trip up the M6 Toll the other week

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
19-08-2013 09:14am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

RE: Odd Scratching

Swirling. Caused by washing & drying.
This high gloss plastic trim used on cars today is so soft. With out knowing your washing routine or knowledge on detailing I would say that the easiest way around this is with some "black" wax (not the one with T-cut). The black fillers in the wax will mask SOME of the damage.

Is there still no speed limit on the M6 toll Smile

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 19-08-2013 01:36pm by doug.)
19-08-2013 01:35pm
PhilSkill

Indeed quite a lot of swirling (the fine circular lines) exactly as doug says, but the first 2 pics in particular look like something's been dragged over the roof edge like a rope? (or are the larger marks dirt/reflection?)

Swirling can be polished out, or a filler polish can hide more temporarily, and that's why there's a lot of talk on gTechniq and other sealants to help avoid this.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-08-2013 02:31pm
mark_n

You're not putting your car through any sort of car wash are you?

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
20-08-2013 07:01am
speary

Philskill, thanks for the rope analogy, it got me thinking. A few weeks ago I was driving the bridesmaids to the church for my nephews wedding and we put ribbons on my car. Ill bet that is what could have caused it. I still cant believe that I hadn't noticed it before that though as I carefully wash and dry my car every week, in fact that's how I noticed it so I cant rule out the M6 Toll blast as that was between washes

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
20-08-2013 08:22am
PhilSkill

Certainly possible Speary, ribbons will whip in the wind and could marr the paint if flapping against it, a decent polish should sort it out. I'm planning to polish and treat my black areas before the winter as they do start to swirl even with the best washing techniques as they are so soft.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
20-08-2013 08:41am
speary

(20-08-2013 08:41am)PhilSkill Wrote:  Certainly possible Speary, ribbons will whip in the wind and could marr the paint if flapping against it, a decent polish should sort it out. I'm planning to polish and treat my black areas before the winter as they do start to swirl even with the best washing techniques as they are so soft.

Do you know if there is a clearcoat finish on the plastic parts or is it just black plastic all the way through ?

20-08-2013 01:20pm
IKM

Excuse what might be a dumb question, but how can the toll booth scratch the bodywork (I tried without success to find a close up picture of the toll booths). Thanks

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
20-08-2013 01:48pm
PhilSkill

I'm would have thought it's certainly painted and almost certianly clear coat on top if it is painted, but wouldn't like to say I know, and doug mentions high gloss plastic above, he may know more...

Maybe i'll find out when I do mine, I intend to get C1 and Exo on the black when I can, and will be polishing with P2 Jewelling polish before hand.

(20-08-2013 01:48pm)IKM Wrote:  Excuse what might be a dumb question, but how can the toll booth scratch the bodywork (I tried without success to find a close up picture of the toll booths). Thanks

I think speary means some exuberant driving on the M6 Toll which is often empty, and a pleasure to drive, even if you have to pay for that pleasure.

(This post was last modified: 20-08-2013 01:55pm by PhilSkill.)
20-08-2013 01:50pm
doug

The black gloss trim is just plastic, nothing added.
Its not just LR using this sort of plastic for window trims. Other makes use the same material. I have heard of people having door pillars wrapped as soon as the White plastic cover is removed as the best washing practices in the world will still leave swirling.

The same material is used on black TV's. Just wipe a MF cloth over one of these, shine a Sun gun at it & you will see just how easily this plastic is marked.
It's a combination of being high gloss & black which is the problem. One way around this would be if it was clear coated. This would leave a much harder shell on surface of the plastic. Of course it would still mark, but at least a lot easier to correct any damage.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
20-08-2013 05:57pm