babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Cornering Lighting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I hear there is an option on the evoque that will turn on cornering lights if you turn or turn on your indicator. I thought I got the whole lighting kit-n-kaboodle on mine, but I haven't seen any indication of extra light when I turn. Was this supposed to be a separate option? What is its official name?

thanks
Adaptive bi-xenon is the name but maybe not the spelling you're looking for.
Myself and LIONHEAD have been having recent discussions about this very thing, which is called Static Bending Light. In addition to the swivelling dipped beam (in all cars with AFS Xenons) there is also a bright LED that comes on when cornering at speeds lower than 30mph. It doesn't require the indicators to be used in order to activate it. I believe this is a standard part of the AFS (Adaptive Bi Xenons) lighting specification on the Evoque, except for those in North America. I have it on my UK car with AFS Xenons, but LIONHEAD who lives stateside does not have it on his, which is equipped with AFS Xenon lights too. US cars with AFS all come IIRC with the Automatic High Beam Assist, whereas it is an optional extra for cars with AFS in the UK. I read that Land Rover decided not to fit SBL to any of their North American Spec vehicles, so it's not only US Evoques that don't have it. The additional little LED light that lights up tight bends at low speeds is missing on all US Land Rovers. Paula xx
Mystery solved, then! My build sheet says Adaptive Xenon, but I couldn't find that darn corner light. Yet another perk we lose out on over here.
Guys, the cornering light is built into the front fog lights as far as I know.
(16-08-2013 08:19am)Stadt Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, the cornering light is built into the front fog lights as far as I know.

On my Audi S3, the front fogs would come on when I was cornering slowly (with dipped beams on), but on the Evoque it's actually a wee bulb inside the headlight. If you fast forward this video to around 20 seconds you'll see it working. Smile Paula xx

[Image: th_00000_zps4e25f2a2.jpg]

(16-08-2013 01:47am)Lachlan Wrote: [ -> ]Mystery solved, then! My build sheet says Adaptive Xenon, but I couldn't find that darn corner light. Yet another perk we lose out on over here.

Hi Lachlan, the strange thing is that I have checked out the VIN numbers of a couple of US Evoques on Topix (one from MY12 and one from MY13) and both have Adaptive Xenon and Cornering Lamps listed on the spec, although we know for sure that one of them definitely doesn't have it (the other is a Special Edition model and we're not sure about it having cornering lights (Static Bending Lights) or not). Smile Paula xx
Paula, no vid! But I'll take your word on that. Never been outside the car to see them working[FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]
Lol, the vid doesn't show if viewing the mobile version for some reason. I hadn't seen ithis cornering light working either, so that's why I did the video to see just what goes on with it. It's a VERY bright light! Paula xx
I believe it only comes on when you hit the turn signals. The US Spec dont have that because we have the orange tip where the corning light comes on.
You can certainly see it at night and in multi-storey car parks, I have often been asked by passengers who have noticed it what the light is for.
On US spec cars does the DRL dip on the side you signalling to when you activate the turn signal during the day?

These lights aren't a new idea, the Citroen DS had them in the late 1960's, there they were a proper headlamp unit behind the Perspex faring on the front that was linked to the car's hydraulic steering system so one of the lamps actually swivelled as you turned the wheel. None of you are old enough to remember those fantastic cars, they were years ahead of their time but unfortunately prone to rust and problems with the very clever oleo-pneumatic suspension system. I always wanted to own one, especially the Maseratti engined SM coupe or a Safari version! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_SM
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's