babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Why are people pronouncing it as 'e-vawk'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard a few news articles online discussing the new Evoque launch, Tata Motors etc. However the commentators were pronouncing it as 'e-vawk' and not 'e-voke'. This was heard on several US news channels.

I suddenly thought maybe I have been pronouncing it wrong this whole time, or perhaps in the US they pronounce it differently? Odd as it is spelled as how it should be pronounced.
It's the way that Indian people speak
(15-08-2011 09:00am)FullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]It's the way that Indian people speak

We'll have less of that! I'm Indian and know how to pronounce it! Smile lol there was another journalist who test drove the Evoque for The Sun and he seemed to call it the Evock!! Strange eh.
I've heard the Evock pronunciation too, it's quite commonly pronounce like that up here in Scotland. I hate it when the great unwashed spell it as Evoke in forums too!
Who cares how people spell it or how they say it, Its how it drives/looks/feels that counts. In fact i am going to call mine an ewok when i get it.
"EE" as in tree and
"VOKE" as in poke.
ANT
(15-08-2011 09:18am)evoqueboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-08-2011 09:00am)FullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]It's the way that Indian people speak

We'll have less of that! I'm Indian and know how to pronounce it! Smile lol there was another journalist who test drove the Evoque for The Sun and he seemed to call it the Evock!! Strange eh.
I think he meant the bows and arrows kind chasing Custer at the Little Big Horn.
From the description it sounds like a US Southern drawl
(15-08-2011 09:56am)ant Wrote: [ -> ]"EE" as in tree and
"VOKE" as in poke.
ANT
I suppose you would tell me it has a mono coke chassis then Laughing

Hope mine has a monocoque one.
(15-08-2011 09:18am)evoqueboy Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah. And he was a honky
Reference URL's