babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: burning clutch smell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
everytime the car starts moving I get a burning clutch smell in the cabine. started two weeks ago. no smell when changing gears. it is manual TD4 with 15.000 km on the clock. anyone experienced this ? I would say my cluctch is going to be dead soon... contacted dealer but no reply yet.
Sure it's the clutch & not the auto handbrake? I think my auto handbrake is slow to release sometimes as I get a burning smell in the cabin - going to be investigated by my useless dealer next week.
The burning smell can also be the DPF (if fitted) doing its regenerating cycle
Sarcastrix: good idea, could it be. but how to prove that ...
XFullFatTim: I would not blame PDF as it happens quite often and the smell is different to regenereting PDF
Please go and check out the Evoque Fire thread. You might have a similar issue as your clutch would only start to smell after quite a bit of abuse, also the handbrake would only get hot enough to smell of burning after driving a few hundred yards, that is if you could get it to move in the first place and you hadnt heard the warning chimes
I want mine to go up in flames - be easier than trying to get all the faults fixed!
update: had the car at the dealer in germany, asked them to check that issue (together with some others) and do the 1st service. I left my car for a week with them so they had enough time to look at it. when gettnig car back, they admitted that the smell is there especially when the car is started in the morning. but nothing to worry, they all (manual) do that - maybe a special feature ? could not belive that. cleaning the clutch would be too expensive they said. well on the way back home the smell was really strong during the drive so it made me really angry. opened the hood, looking around and found out that they did not properly closed the battery cover, which caused all the smell from the the engine getting into HVAC. put the cover back in it´s position did help a lot, but did not fixed the problem completely. send an email to the service but as usually, no reply...
Manuals don't do that... mines never smelt, except the DPF on occasion which seems more from the rear, I agree with speary checkout the fire thread, as the clutch or brakes would not smell unless you abuse them for a long period to get them hot enough to smell, certainly not at the point you start up.

Get onto customer services, and get it back to the dealer...

If the smell is exhaust fumes leaking into the cabin you could be asphyxiated while driving with disasterous and possibly fatal results... Shocked
a short update: had a strange metallic noise after cold start for a few times, so made a video(with sound) yesterday, sent it to the dealer and he strictly forbided me to use the car and asked to call LR asistance. the guy put it on truck, noticed also the clutch smell and took it to the LR garage. now I am awaiting them to call...
by the way, the assistance guy said that they carry a number of broken evoques ...
(20-05-2014 02:00pm)harry Wrote: [ -> ]a short update: had a strange metallic noise after cold start for a few times, so made a video(with sound) yesterday, sent it to the dealer and he strictly forbided me to use the car and asked to call LR asistance. the guy put it on truck, noticed also the clutch smell and took it to the LR garage. now I am awaiting them to call...
by the way, the assistance guy said that they carry a number of broken evoques ...

Could be that the dual mass flywheel has failed. Generally a common problem with this type of flywheel. There is a TSB regarding this but it says that cars showing symptoms of failure are within manufacturers tolerances. Incidentally I get an occasional nasty judder when changing into 2nd gear. Reported to my dealer 3 times and they has also experienced the problem. Told me to report back if it got worse. At least I have it on record that I think there is a problem should it fail in the future, particularly when it's out of warranty next April
Hope yours isn't too serious and they do a good repair for you
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's